If you had a boy born middle of August, would you hold him back for kindergarten?

So he wouldn't be the youngest in his class? I think a lot of parents are doing this now especially with boys. At what point does it get ridiculous to do this? Do you think this boy would get made fun of by his peers for being eligible to be in the older grade but being in one lower? Is it different for boys and girls? I've actually heard schools are recommending this because boys born in late summer are not ready. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It would depend entirely on how ready he was. If he knows his letters and seems ready to read and be in a classroom situation, then I'd let him go this year.

Answer by Bmat at 9:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• To me, It would be depend on the child. If he is ready to go, send him. If not, hold him back. My son was born at the end of May, but was not ready to go to Kindergarten and I held him back. To me, it was the best choice I made. Do not do it because of what you hear people are recommending. Do what is best for YOUR child.

Anonymous

• I think it depends on the maturity and how far along the child is, as far as "academics", with what they need to know in kinderg. I guess if they go for the year and the boy is sitll not where they want him to be he could do kinderg again. My son is born in mid August and I think when the time comes it will be obvious to me if he is ready or not.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• So,he'll be 6 in august and start a month later you mean?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• OP here. I don't see ANY advantage for letting him go on time and only advantages for holding him back...being a boy and all. The youngest boy in the class is going to be smaller and obviously younger and just picked on so I think it could really have an impact on the direction of his life. He'd either be potentially the most popular in the class or potentially the object of ridicule. I think being held back, if it's not "obscene," is a real advantage for a boy.
    Anonymous

• I had a July son and a August dd,,I held them both back a year. I now have a senior in high school and a sophmore. No one can tell the difference and they are top in their classes.
    Anonymous

• I have 2 friends that have done this. I wouldn't do it. I think it would really stink to graduate at 19 instead of 18 and get a late start on college. My DD's birthday is in mid August and I'm not holding her back. She turns 4 this August and I'll be putting her in a part time pre-k just 3 days after her 4th birthday. I think it'll help prepare her for the routine of Kindergarten since she'll be starting that just days after her 5th birthday.

I'm a certified teacher and I wouldn't advise holding back an August baby unless they are slow or have some sort of social disorder (social anxiety, severe separation anxiety, extremely shy, etc).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• The most popular guy in my school (20 years ago) was the youngest, the smallest (he was the shorter then most girls) and also had a femine first name. It wasn't his name, his age or his height that made him popular--it was his personality. Please don't hold him back because you want him to be popular. If you hold him back, have it be because he was not academically ready or behaviorally ready. I
    Anonymous

• I would hold them back a year, how would other children really know?

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• ThrivingMom, He'll graduate at 18 if he's held back a year. He wouldn't turn 19 until the August after he graduates.
    Anonymous