Is it really THAT important for a child to have a b-day party???

DD is going to turn three fairly soon...I have never thrown her an actual b-day party. For her first on her actual birthday we had a special day for her here at home, took her to the park, got a cake, bought gifts, etc... That weekend we took her to the zoo and then my MIL had a small get together for dh's family at her house and I bought cupcakes and a small princess cake. Last year we took her to monkey Joe's and she had a ball! This year, since she LOVES chasing butterflies, I'm going to take her to this discovery museum fun place...and it has a butterfly pavilion built in with HUNDREDS of them flying all over! I think she'll love it and we'll invite her cousins to attend also. When I mention that we do fun stuff like that instead of party people look at me sideways...am I wrong here? I figured since she's so young she'll never remember a party and she enjoys this stuff so much more. I'll do parties when she's older...and..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ....actually asks or cares about that sort of thing. Especially the first two when they get tired and cranky so easily...and then ten more kids getting tired and cranky...going somewhere she'll enjoy seems to make more sense. Am I a tacky or bad mother for doing it that way? I never thought so...but you should see the reactions I get.
    Anonymous

• You are doing what we did. Birthdays were more family celebrations.

Answer by Bmat at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i personally go all out for her 1st bday it cost me over 700 bucks i think, i LOVE parties and don't mind throwing a huge bash for my child, i will prob do it every yr but that is just cause i am that way lol, but heck if it works for your family that is what matters :)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think it's a pretty neat idea what you're doing there. I don't remember any of my earlier parties. The one I remember most is when I turned thirteen. It was simply my parents, 5 siblings and a cake. We even barbequed. Then watch my favorite movie.
    Well earlier parties consisted of cousins and ice cream parlors. Stuff like that. I am sure I enjoyed it at the time.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 9:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• birthdays dont have to be a party. that's about what we do with our 3 yr old. maybe when she gets older we'll throw her one but she doesnt need one this young.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• eh, it's a personal thing. i think you're doing it right. and i think birthdays should be more small-scale anyway. you don't 40 people that you can't even have a conversation with to celebrate a birthday. maybe i'm old fashioned.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I agree with Bmat, birthdays in my household are more of a family celebration as well. I am getting pressured to throw my soon to be 1 year old a birthday party but I just don't see the point he's still very small and probably wouldn't even know what was going on so we are opting for a small family get together with a cake. I do have older kids in their teens who prefer outings with the friends and as they get older that is understandable but other than that, we still with family gatherings.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• OP...when she's old enough and has actual friends and wants a party...she will get one. And her first we did three separate things...but it was hard because my sister got married three days before her first b-day, so that was sort of the main focal point that month.
    Anonymous

• We've never had a big bash for our son,and he's 9.He never really cared for festivities. He was happy with his presents,cake,and going to his pick of restaurants for supper. I have a SIL that goes all out and every year she has to outdo the last year and its getting impossible and expensive.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My kids are 8 and 6, and I've only ever had family parties, if that. More often than not its a special day for the birthday boy where we go do something fun, and have lunch or dinner. My 6 year old just had a birthday the 15th, and we're getting together with my side of the family this weekend to go to dinner, mini golf, then back to my mom's for cake and balloons.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2010