Why is my daughter's behavior with me different than her behavior with her daddy?

Dad doesn't live with us, but he visits often. Our 24 month old treats us very differently:

1. She knows better than to hit me, and I correct her behavior when she does it, but she hits and scratches her dad all the time. He tells her not to, and she keeps doing it.

2. She is so happy when daddy comes over. She adores him, which is sweet. But as soon as daddy leaves the room or goes home, she turnes into a whiney, damanding tot! It's like she reserves the stinky attitude just for me! She's not a naughty kid-just a bit spoiled (she's and only child)!

Why does she behave differently depending on which parent she is interracting with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• All kids do this. Even ones with both parents in the home. And when they start school, they act like a totally different person there than they would at home, in a lot of cases. It's completely normal. At that age, she doesn't even know how to express her feelings...let alone understand what she is feeling to make her act the way she does.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It's because she knows you won't leave! She will do behave for him because she is scared. And the violence is because he leaves. Talk to her. Be sure she knows that you both love her very much. Maybe try and get him to come over more often. Maybe have a few dinners together so she feels more secure.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• All kids act different with different people. My DD listens to Ama(grandma) with little to no questions, is generally quiet and well behaved.
    For daddy, she is typically good, unless of course other people are around.
    For Papa, she gets all excited when he gets home, then wants little to do with him until bed time (then she latches on to him for dear life because she knows he's a sucker and will let her stay up an extra half hour).
    For me, she can be a total terror, or an angel. But it's mostly only for me that she acts up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Lack of consistency. Not that I think you are doing anything wrong, you do things differently, follow through differently have different reactions and tolerances.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2010