Experiences with Waldorf?

I was very interested in sending my child to a Waldorf preschool next year, but I recently had an experience that makes me very nervous. One of my friends has a now 4 year old who has been going to that school since the fall. I used to very much enjoy this child, who was bright and articulate and friendly and was very sweet and thoughtful. Well, my friend and I got together a week ago and her daughter had changed. She was mean to my 1 year old, taking toys away from her, mocking her when she couldn't get up on the couch and even kicking a ball really hard right at her when she was frustrated. She was also really demanding of MY time, going so far as to get in between me and my DD when I was trying to play blocks with her. So now I'm nervous. The only thing that I am aware has changed is that she is going to this school. Is this typical? Anyone have any experiences with Waldorf? Any advice?

Gooberzilla

Asked by Gooberzilla at 10:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in

• I think it is great in theory, but I have a hard time getting behind a school that doesn't think reading is important.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It could have been just a personality change and not really a result of the schooling itself. It could be the result of just WHO she spending her time with, not HOW she is educated.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Walcott doesn't say reading isn't important, they just delay it until seven, which is perfectly fine. I just have a problem with delaying it in naturally early readers, which I hear they do. And they can be very strident and dogmatic about things like tv and Disney.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Waldorf, that is. Damn auto-complete.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2010