Bloody Stools

Does anyone have any idea what a bloody stool would indicate in a 5 year old. The stool itself was bloody. Obviously I need to take him to the ER, I'm waiting for a ride. Please help!

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It could be a rectal fissure, which is a small tear in the muscle surrounding his anus. but get to the er asap.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• thank you! kinda freaking out here. He's not complaining about any other pain and I checked his butt, there's no noticeable tears, and the whole stool was bloody so I'm thinking it's something internal.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• i have blood in my stool when i eat foods i shouldnt because i have gastritis....he may need a upper gi
    Anonymous

• There are many things that can cause blood in the stool. It could be a fissure...it could be hard stool, was he constipated at all? They may have to do an upper or a lower gi. I hope all goes well.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• hemroids or also a very tiny tear you cant see but as you say you saw the blood so its probably not internal
    insomniacmom266

Answer by insomniacmom266 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2010