Is there any way to be nice about it?

My husband needs dental work done big time. He has baby teeth in his mouth that are finally just worn out and dying (he never lost them and never had any permanent teeth to replace them). But he won't call and make a damn appointment to get them pulled.

I'm really upset over this because not only is he risking his health and losing bone in his jaw by letting them rot away, but I seriously don't want to kiss him at all because no matter how good his dental hygiene may be (he brushes and all that jazz), his breath still smells horrible because of those teeth.

Is there any nice way to tell him I don't want any intimacy with him because his breath stinks and he needs to get the work done ASAP? He thinks it's worse to have holes left in his mouth from getting them pulled than to have those teeth rotting out. He thinks it's sufficient just to email a dentist. I'm not home during the day to make the appointment for him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I have a husband the same way!! and while we are the ones who give a Damm they have to do this one their own..
    Anonymous

• My hubby is scared to death of needles and dentists so he never goes. He said he would go if I made the appointment for him though....maybe you should try that?
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You could always say "Honey i have to be blunt" or "Honey i'm really worried about this". You might even add that because of his breath you don't want to be intimate. Sorry I'm a very blunt person and my DH knows if there's something i'm worried about or don't like i'm just going to tell him, sugar coated or not. Sometimes its the easiest way, the downside is you can hurt your DH feelings. I wish you the best. :)
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I think I would make an appointment for him and then say "Honey, I love you so much, and I want you to be healthy" (people can die from infections in their teeth) "And as much as I love you and want to be intimate, healthy teeth are a lot sexier than rotting teeth. I made this appointment for you, and I'm hoping that if you won't do it for yourself, that you'll go for me and your children."
    This would work for my husband. Hope it will work for you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• My husband has really bad teeth as a result of a siezure medication he had to take when he was younger. He also has the bad smell/taste you talk about with your hubby. I don't kiss my husband unless it's closed mouthed and even then it's like, ugh! My husband won't go either to the dentist and rationalizes it as, it's better to have his "original" teeth as long as possible. He hates dentists and doesn't want the lecture again of all that they'd have to do to his teeth!.....
    When my husband gets too close I always tell him his breath stinks...lol I'm very honest about it, and I tell him i'd be more willing to be close and kiss if he got them fixed, because it is giving off a nasty smell!
    I've found though, his breath is more tolorable when he does mouth wash.
    Anonymous

• Okay, I know I am a good one to be talking. I've had some teeth problems in the last couple of years. I didn't get regular checkups like I should and I am paying dearly for it. But, I've had nutriency problems as well. You know as well as I do, to prevent dental problems and get regular checkups you shouldn't have any problems with your teeth. But with the use of nitrous oxide and sedation for those with major dental work (which is done in the dentist office). there should be nothing to worry about, especially on your first visit. It never hurts on your first visit, they never do anything on your first visit. Just ask him nicely to go to a consultation to see what they have to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2010