How do you feel about eating Gulf Caught Seafood right now?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• like i wont be.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• personally when i think about what is happening with the oil leak/spill, that is not even on my radar of concerns. i am a bit more concerned with environmental issues.

however, i try to trust the people who make my food. That may be a bit foolish...but I would try to trust that the companies are still cleaning and caring for the seafood up to FDA standards.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I never have before, so it doesn't faze me, it isn't an issue for our family.
    Anonymous

• What percentage of the US's seafood comes from the Gulf?
    Anonymous

• Just check where your seafood comes from. I know a lot of shellfish here in WA can't be eaten right now either because of Red Tide. But honestly if you are buying frozen shrimp or frozen fish you are likely buying from taiwan or china in all honesty. It should say where you are buying it from if its frozen, and you can ask when you buy the fresh where it is from.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Oh, and i wouldn't be eating seafood from the Gulf right now, I'm sorry, but I see the maps of how far that oil spill has spread and how bad the wildlife is affected, you can't tell me it's safe. I'll trust my instincts on this one lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

Only 2%.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• "personally when i think about what is happening with the oil leak/spill, that is not even on my radar of concerns. i am a bit more concerned with environmental issues."

The oil spill isn't an enviromental issue...?
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

YES IT IS - I meant the environment being directly affected...the animals and plant life suffering and dying are more of a concern to me than eating seafood. I have heard that oyster plants are being shut down because they dont have enough/any to prepare....so it seems to me that people are making sure we are not injesting contaminated food. i am more concerned for the how this spill is going to affect the habititat long term.

I guess it just seems selfish to me.....this whole ecosystem down there is being covered in oil....

I understand if you are a big eater of seafood from the gulf you would probably change your eating habits if you didnt trust the companies that prepare/package your food.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If you can afford it, I think you should. The people are suffering enough. If we stop buy what little seafood they can put out, what will happen? If it's safe, you should eat it.
    Lypreila

Answer by Lypreila at 1:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2010