What is so wrong with private schools?

Especially Catholic ones?

I was reading another question and it seems a lot of people are against them. Why is this? Honestly, I am very curious. I always though they were a great thing if you could afford it.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 11:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Private and Public both have their good and bad points. Everyone's going to have an opinion. Don't stress.
    Anonymous

• My kids attend a Christian school - which to some would be considered private (I don't think of it that way, we do pay tuition though so I guess technically it is). I have nothing to say about Catholic schools though - but I'm sure if we were Catholic our children would attend Catholic school.
    Anonymous

• I think my co-workers son has many more advantages coming from a catholic high school, then my kids coming from the public school system. He has many more scholarships available to him then my kids do
    Anonymous

• There are pros & cons to both.

Public schools often have funding available the smaller private schools don't have, enabling them to have special programs, sometimes better computer labs, special ed programs, bigger libraries, etc., than a smaller private school. They also often pay teacher's better, so they may draw higher caliber teachers. And private schools don't always have to higher teachers with the same qualifications that public schools are required to use when hiring.

On the other hand, private schools generally have smaller class sizes, don't have as much government involvement and red tape as public schools, can use higher caliber programs, and often have more parental input into curriculum and programs for children.

Look carefully at the private schools you might consider, and the public schools. Choose the right fit for your family. I've had good and bad experiences in both types of schools.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i went to a private christian school, and hated it from grade 6 on..they dont let you be an individual, so what because i wanted to wear blue nailpolish, that means God is gonna love me less? or because i had more than i set of earrings?? then when it comes to smoking, drinking, sex etc, youre just told "no, dont do it, its bad"..well whyy??? "because we say so" they never give answers on why, or what the consequences are, or what will happen if you do...its their way, or no way...plus everyone is all up in your business!! everyone knows every little thing that ges on in your life. theres no privacy!!! they just all think theyre right!! and youre not allowed to question them, you just have to accept it for what it is!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think that religion should be taught in the home along with other values. To me, christian and catholic schools are brainwashing kids because they are only teaching from one perspective. (For example, bible study is usually a required course but students will most likely be left in the dark when it comes to things like evolution)
    I have nothing against private schools though, my son will attend montessori when he is old enough. Kids (like me for example) seem to fall through the cracks so easily in public schools regardless of their intelligence. They fail to teach to different learning styles and teachers are forced to teach to the standardized tests, which is unfair. Homework is a JOKE and most kids will repeat the same garbage year after year. You get bored, you lose interest.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I went to private and boarding schools.
    Like the other momma's have said, there's good and bad.

I never went to a public school, but my DH and I have compared our experiences.
    There's one thing that's always the same. There's favoritism, chaotic popularity struggles, cliques and problems within the system.

We're enrolling our son into private school when he gets to be that age. However, my son will have the option to attend a public school, if he would like. I never had that option.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Personally, the issue I had with the private school I went to was snobby people. The school I went to was K-12 & had about 100 people, so the classes were very small (about 6-8 students), and there was only 1 class per grade. And you were stuck with them all day, because you didn't rotate different students through each class like at a public school, your class traveled as a group to each class. So if you didn't like someone (or anyone LOL) in your class, that made the days/weeks/months REALLY long. Anyway, I was the outcast of the entire class for 4 years because I didn't live in a big house & my parents didn't drive BMWs. So socially, I was MISERABLE. It was a good education, but I was too depressed to care. I didn't do my homework because I thought they would kick me out of the school if I failed (didn't work). I hated almost every day :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It depends on the school and the child. My daughter was at a very good private school for two years, and it was utterly disasterous. She was bored and obnoxious. Finally, for second grade, she was accepted at an academically advanced public school and was a completely different student.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I am catholic and i love catholic schools! They teach education and love for God! How can you go wrong?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2010