vegetarian question: chick pea cutlets in place of chicken... can i use it for......?

an actual chicken kind of substitute.? i havent made it yet, but the recipe in a vegie. group here made it sound great! so can i use it for, like, chicken "breasts" and in "chicken" cacciatore?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't know if I'd try using it as chicken in recipes. I love chick peas, and I use them in salads, for hummus, etc. But they definitely have their own texture and taste. I would try making the chick pea cutlets just as they are, and see what they taste like, and what the texture is like first, then decide whether they would work well in recipes. Have you tried the Morning Star "Chicken" patties and nuggets? I like the texture and the taste, and have used them for some recipes as well. There are several other brands worth trying too.

Let us know if you try the chick pea cutlets, how they turn out!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• actually a fantastic substitute for chicken is eggplant
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You can also cube, freeze and defrost tofu; freezing makes the texture kind of chewy, and more meat-like.

Another option is seitan (easy to make at home)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2010