Do you remember "Need help with a baby girl name: Aoibheann Ealish, Cairistìona Mairead or Fionnuala Nyline"?

I posted in early May asking for input on a name for our 3rd daughter. We live in Ireland and our choices were:

1) Aoibheann Ealish (said Eev-uhn A-lis) and they mean Pleasant/Beautiful & Of Noble Kind
2) Cairistìona Mairead (said Kare-ih-styo-nah Mah-raid) & and they mean Follower of Christ & Pearl
3) Fionnuala Nyline (said Finn-oolah Ny-leen) & they mean fair & champion

Our 1st two daughters are Siobhan Roison (said Shi-vawn Ro-sheen & they mean God is Gracious & Little Rose) & Órfhlaith Niamh (said Or-la & Nee-iv & they mean Golden Princess/Lady & Bright) so we wanted a name that went well with their names. Our 3rd wee girl was born on 10 June and we chose the name Aoibheann Ealish.

I was asked to update when our new addition arrived & to share what name we chose and I finally have a little free time to do so as life stays busy with a 3 1/2yo, a soon to be 2yo and a new babe. Thanks to all for their input.

Muadhnaitloves3

Asked by Muadhnaitloves3 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• now that you say you live in Ireland the Gaelic names make a lot more sense :) congrats on the new baby!!!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yeah! I was wondering which name you chose. Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I do remember. Congratulations!!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I was wondering which name you chose. I love the name you picked, it is the one I voted for.

rhianna, do you mean now (because of the title of the ?) or in her original question? When she asked in May she did state that she was from Ireland. A few people were less than kind because they didn't realize that she was from Ireland even though she stated that she was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Then you must remember that names don't really mean anything.. "Mayleen" means mercenary backbone, "Frecake" means bumpy armpit, Surely you have figured out that they just make this stuff up right? I would personally question your sanity when that child hits third grade and feels like a complete failure because they take 2 months to learn how to spell their own name, especially when all the other kids can do it in one day. The fun will follow them for the rest of their life when absolutely nobody can ever pronounce their name correctly . What were you thinking?? At least she can tell them her name means pleasant, beautiful, noble and kind. Do you have any idea how many guys in prison are named Jesus or Angel? Maybe they do things different in Ireland but this is one gal who just doesn't get it. You have made such a big deal out of their names, let's hope they can eventually live up to all that pretense. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Anon, you do get that in Ireland people can actually spell and pronounce the names she named her children and no one will make fun of them, right? Also, I doubt that Irish prisons are full of Angels and Jesus'. LOL And, btw, in other cultures people DO put a lot of thought in to the meanings of the names they choose to name their children. They want names that mean something. Why are you so nasty? Did you have a bad day?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Anon :40....All I can say is wow. your post makes you seem ignorant. i agree with anon :51. why such a nasty post to a nice happy question/update.

To the OP: congrats. I like your name choices!

aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Anon :40, I live in a place where EVERYONE speaks Gaelic. As a matter of fact besides myself, my siblings, my parents and a very few other people the majority of the people who live in the village I live in do not even speak English at all. I speak it because we lived in London for a time in my younger years. My name is Muadhnait Alastríona (Mooy-naht Al-ah-stree-nah) & my husband is Éamonn Belenus (Ay-mon Bel-en-us). My sisters are Aalish (A-lis), Tuilelaith (Til- ah-lah) & Maolíosa (ma-lee-sah) & my brothers are Gníomh (Gnee) & Laighean (Layn). My parents are Caoimheán (Kee-veen) & Fionnaghuala (Fih-nel-lah). All of those are easy to say and spell names for us. An English name would actually stand out and cause a child to be made fun of here because A) it would be English (not a good thing here) and B) it would be in a language that few people speak so the names would be hard for people here to say and to spell.
    Muadhnaitloves3

Answer by Muadhnaitloves3 at 2:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Also, maybe in America some people just pick names that sound good but we do put a lot of thought in to names here. We believe that a name does form a person. I wanted to name my children names that that they would feel proud to have. I love the thought that my parents put in to my name. It is a good name.
    Muadhnaitloves3

Answer by Muadhnaitloves3 at 2:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• To evertyone else, thank you for your kind words.
    Muadhnaitloves3

Answer by Muadhnaitloves3 at 2:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010