I have been shaving my dogs at home for a couple months now (trying to save money), but I am having a hard time with their legs - anyone have any tips??

theyre maltipoo x shihtzus , 18 lbs each..the rest of their body looks awesome!! but i cant seem to get their legs looking like how the groomers do..help!!! lol

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pets

• im a groomer. i have found that it depends on the coat, and the dog (what they will allow you to do). Easiest thing I can recomend for you is to make sure you have a metal pin brush and back brush the legs (against the grain of the hair so it stands up) then using your clippers, shave down the leg with the grain of the hair. This will help you get the bulk of the legs evened up. Then using scissors go back and trim away any tufts the clippers have missed. *ALWAYS* use a metal brush and comb to avoid static and tangles with dog hair. It will take practice! If your dogs have lots of cowlicks in their hair (s.tzu and anything mixed with them tend to have them) it will not look pretty but nothing you can do. and the leg hair may be thinner like the maltese it may not turn out so well. Don't get discouraged! good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010