Is it safe to drink Diet Caffeine free soda while pregnant?

I'm normally a diet coke drinker.. normally 2-4 a day. along with water and crystal lite. Does anyone know if it is safe to drink Diet Caffeine free coke? I don't really want to cut out the coke all together, but I would just stick to the water and crystal lite if I really had to. Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is very high in sodium The artificial sweeteners may damage the fetus, though the risks have not been proven (why take the chance, though).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Once in a while it's okay. The sweetener in it isn't the best thing for you or the baby, but as long as you're not drinking it all day every day it'll be okay.

I'd limit it to a can a day at first, and cut back until it's once or twice a week.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Crystal Lite is just as bad as diet soda, but they are both probably fine in moderation. Give your Dr a call first and make sure they feel it is ok for you to have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 2 a day max will not do any harm at all. i usually have 2 pepsis a day, almost full term and baby's just fine
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I went to a certified nutritionist for my gestational diabetes and she said a couple a day was fine, just don't overdo it.

Answer by missanc at 7:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I had gestational diabetes. I tried to drink water as much as possible, but it got old and sometimes I jsut wanted something else. My doctor told me that 2 artifically sweetened drinks a day were all I should really have. This included diet caffeine free soda and Crystal Light. Studies have not been proven either way, so why take the chance of drinking more.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My OB prefers you drink a regular soda if you must have one. And even then only in moderation. One or two a day max. Water is the best thing you can drink though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I say no! I cut out all but one regular soda a day! The artificial sweetner is really bad! Or just stick to caffeine free soda not diet! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• diet soda is NEVER good to drink. EVER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• hooray for the ob that says regular is better than diet : )
    i think water is best.
    it is summer, try a little all natural or organic lemonade!
    personally, i think artificial sweetners are bad. i thought there was evidence of this.
    if you are used to 2-4 a day, try to keep cutting your consumption in half.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2010