Killing the Whales

Okay so does everyone know what Obama is doing now? True to form he is switching sides on yet another issue. During the election he was all about protecting our whales and the oceans, now once again he is filpping and wants to kill the whales. Go to animalplanet.com and in the lower left side sign the patition to save these wonderfull animals. Then email all your contacts to have them do the same. PLEASE help these animals, for their sake and our own.

Gemaof4

Asked by Gemaof4 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I really dislike when I hear the "we have more important issues" argument when it comes to the whales or any other endangered species. The issue isn't if Japan uses all of the whale or not, the issue is that they are breaking the law, killing the whales under false pretense and no one but people like Sea Shepard are doing anything about it. If someone shot a bald eagle and ate it for dinner they would go to prison because it is against the law.

The oil spill in the gulf if anything is just a bigger reason why pushing for the ban on killing whales is so important. Do you not realize that whales are also off our own coastlines? this is not just a issue in another part of the world it affects all of us.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Online petitions don't really count for anything except to make you FEEL like you are doing something constructive. They do not matter! And I know that in Japan, they use every single bit of the whale. They aren't wasteful at all, not like WE are with so much of our "products" (for lack of a better word). I don't recall hearing him talk at all about "saving the whales" during the campaign, and I really don't see the huge issue. I think there are far more urgent and important things to worry about on land! THIS land! We have millions out of work, with no jobs in sight, we have a health bill to repeal, an energy bill to defeat, and a few incumbents to unseat, and a Gulf to clean up. I think we have enough to keep us busy for awhile, without worrying about a few whales! Aren't you worried about all the poor animals in the Gulf, and in the marshes down there? They aren't just being killed, they're being tortured first!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 3_ring_circus_

• Uh, Japan DOES have permission to catch a certain amount of whale for research, so they are NOT breaking the law. When they go out to catch the whales that they CAN catch, they get harassed by the Sea Shepard. I watched that show, and I think that they totally harassed the whaling ships from Japan. I think we need to worry more about the coral reefs that are dying all over the world, THAT affects me way more than "Save the Whales!" because the price of real coral goes through the roof, and it was high to begin with! I no longer have my beautiful SW tank running because I don't think it is right to catch & sell these animals when they are in such danger. But I'm sorry, I don't see the urgency about the whales. Or do you think that there is an ulterior motive for PBO to want to allow them to be killed? They are a good source of food for a lot of people........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• And yes I realize that they are using a loophole in the laws, to "justify" their using the whales. If you found a loophole for something you were passionate about, you would be "justifying", yourself!

Have you considered how many people would be put out of work, if these 3 countries were to be forced to stop whaling? And if the save 18,000 whales over 10 years, that averages out to 1800 per year. The 3 countries only catch around 2000 per year. That is what, 90% reduction? Crazy, for us to even be in this debate! It really doesn't affect us, we aren't competing with them for anything, for crying out loud!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• "It really doesn't affect us, "

Neither does genocide in other countries, or should we ignore that too? *sarcasm*

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• anon :05 here......
    I meant that "it doesn't affect us" in the sense that we are not competing with Japan to be able to capture whales. I also think that human life is more valuable than any animal life. Yes, I agree that we should not be out there just killing animals for the sake of being ABLE to, that whatever is killed should be killed for a reason, whether it is because they are food or too dangerous or a nuisance (I know that whales are not dangerous or a nuisance, but they CAN be food!) If those who buy the whale use the whole animal, than I don't have a problem with it.

And FTR, I think it is absolutely criminal that they have shut off water sources to farmers in CA to protect a 2" bait fish. I will always be on the side of humans over ANY animal.
    Anonymous