I need really heart momma talk!

My DD just turned 2 and yes I think this is part of being a toddler but she listen to nothing that her father and I say she is biting and hitting she has the sassys mouth and when we put her timeout she laughs at us she just is the getting worse. She bite me yesterday so hard that my arm looks like she bite me 2 minutes ago. I would love to hear what works for you mommas cause i am starting to feel like a bad momma. I have been crying over this for a few weeks now. My DH and I don't by any means talk bad or mean to one another ever we have respect for one another at all times. We also have 4 other children but she is the only one we have together and the only one in the home with us. So we think that may habve something to do with it also.
I would like NOT be bash and told that im a scum bag for a momma. TY!

raemommy

Asked by raemommy at 4:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Please don't listen to angelairelan, that was terrible advice. The worst thing she suggested was making your little one lay in bed for punishment. You NEVER, want to make a toddler feel like their bed or their room is a place for punishment. That will make for some super bad bedtimes. Also, don't put something gross in her mouth for biting. That's cruel, unnecessary, and may make ehr sick.

When she bites, jump on it immediately. Don't yell, or act mad or annoyed. Just firmly, but without emotion, say "no biting, biting is owie." Say it every time she bites and right away. You can even tell her "biting makes mommy sad" and make a sad face. My DD went through a biting phase and this stopped it in under a week.

Don't get mad when she laugs at timeouts. She's not trying to be defiant. She's just 2. She may even think timeout is just a game, my 2 yr old does. Just be consistant.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You need to get a handle on yourself, then your child. I can't recommend strongly enough the book Raising Our Children Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. You can learn more at http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my 2 yr old is the only child in the home,,she doesnt go threw the biting stage but my neice did....when she bites put soap in her mouth,,,or something realy nasty like vinager...my lil one does the same thing in public she doesnt listen and laughs at us...lol....i just hold her tight like a hug until she culms down...my huspand belives in the bitting back method but i dont!! when she doesnt listen at home,,make her lay down in her bed( big girl bed) toddler bed..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It's very important that you and your husband don't act mad or frustrated when your daughter acts up. That type of negative attention just feeds toddler misbehavior.

Instead, really praise the good behavior with lots of hugs, kisses, and compliments. Firmly, but without emotion, nip bad behavior in the bud. And be sure to explain why it's bad behavior. "No biting, that hurts." "No climbing, you may get hurt." etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• She doesn't realize that biting and hitting you hurts you. It doesn't hurt HER when she does this to you, so she doesn't know it hurts you. Biting her back will only show her that when you bite HER that it hurts HER. She isn't old enough to process the connection, so that method is only a means of torture for the child, not a learning experience. Don't do that. It is better to get proactive. If you see her going in for the bite, move her away from you. Say in a very firm tone (not yelling) "we do NOT bite! That is not nice!" As for timeouts not working. Of course they won't if you don't do them right. I found that actively ignoring my child worked better sometimes. Tell her "I don't like this behavior and I won't talk to you again until it stops!" and I'd hide my face behind a book or stand facing the opposite direction. She got the message eventually. It just takes patience. She will outgrow this. Promise Good luck
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 9:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You are not a scum bag Mommy.. Some kids are just harder than others. I have a very strong willed 2-1/2 year old doing the same thing. he's JUST coming out of the hitting biting phase and I didn't have to pour soap or vinegar or hold him in his room - that was TERRIBLE advice by the way -whatever way you choose, just be consistant
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010