If you use Pampers Cruisers, do you realize you're spending more than $1 a day on diapers?

Diapers have gone up a lot since I had my first baby almost 4 years ago. But I really didn't realize how much until I did the math. If your baby is in size 3 Pamper's Cruisers and you buy the really big economy pack of diapers, then you're spending 26 cents per diaper. That's more than a quarter a diaper and we all know you go through more than 4 diapers a day. That's more than a $1 a day in just diapers.

I looked at Pampers baby dry for my DS yesterady at Walmart. He wears a size 5. They were $18.97 for a box of 56 diapers. That is nearly 34 cents per diaper! I ended up buying Luvs since they were sold out of the generics in his size.

I have 2 in diapers right now. It's enough to make me think about cloth diapering. Anyone else realize how much they're spending on diapers? I used to just grab a box without really thinking about it.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 8:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I used both cloth and disposable, remember you have to pay for detergent, water and the gas and our electric to heat the water, I loved cloth when they were little, but moved to the Pampers when they began to get mobile,, I tried every brand of diaper out there,,I finally found CVS brand cruisers and they were the only ones that worked as well as the Pampers, It like everything is so expensive now days!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I really like Walgreens generic and the Sam's Club Member Mark too. But when I had my first baby generics were around 12 cents a diaper. Now most are around 17 cents a diaper. It's just so insanely expensive.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I was able to spend about $130-150 to cloth diaper my little guy from birth to potty training (flats and thirsties covers all bought new). I couldn't imagine sitting in a disposable sanitary pad 24 hours a day so I'm not doing it to my baby (although my first wore pampers and my second did until he was a year old). I wear cotton so little man will too! There are many different reasons to CD. Money saving, enviromental reasons, babies health and they are so much cuter than a paper diaper! When you are done with cloth diapers, you can also sell them and get some of your money back that you spent on purchasing them. Can't do that with a pamper!
    KathrynJL

Answer by KathrynJL at 9:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yes, I realize how much I paid for diapers. Didn't change anything. If generics or cheaper brands actually WORKED, I would've bought them.

Chances are, when I have my next child this fall, I'll pay the high price for Pampers again.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i dont do the math on that kind of stuff simply because there is no way around it so why worry about it. and the generic's are so stiff and hard. i use huggies and <3 them!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Duster, the new Pampers are pretty stiff and the gell stuff on the inside of the Dry Max gets all funky like the Parent's Choice. They are really yucky now, but are still pricey. I actually like most of the generics (except the Walmart generics) better than Pampers now. =/ If you look on Pampers website there are a lot of moms complaining about the new Pampers.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I try to buy diapers when they're on sale or I have a coupon, that way I don't pay as much. Example: yesterday I bought a big pack of Huggies at CVS for 19.99 (72 diapers I think). I had a 3.00 off coupon = 16.99. Then I got a $10 coupon extra care bucks. So it was like my pack of 72 diapers was 6.99 which equals .10 per diaper. Way cheaper than just buying them when you need them.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Parents Choice is good for us. But, with the next baby whenever that maybe we will use cloth diapers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I cloth diaper in the day and use sposies at night.

It's saved us an enormous amount of money as we have free well water and gas .. I can see how it might cost someone who has to pay for water and gas some money to wash, but it was REALLY practical for us. Even if I did have to pay for gas/water, though, you can get some of your money back if you take good care of your diapers and sell them after use, and you can always work on ways to use less water/gas, like washing pee pee diapers with your regular laundry and using some vinegar in the wash cycle and then dumping some baking soda in at the end of the wash cycle (I leave lid up so I don't forget) to neutralize it. It gets rid of any pee residue and as a bonus the smell of diesel and clothes are generally cleaner !! And as a tot he only poohs twice per day, so there ya go, not a lot of extra laundry!

And I've read the new Pampers are bad news. I use local store brand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I've never done the math on it myself, other than choosing which kind to get the most value from, but the cost alone is part of the reason we decided to cloth diaper our baby due in October. The up-front cost CAN be pricey if you don't buy smart, or utilize resources (I got TWO brand new cloth dipes and inserts to go with for $30 at a consignment store. The dipes alone are $17.50 a pop online...and they'd NEVER been used!), and even with the added load or two of laundry a week, we'll STILL spend less on cloth diapering.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2010