Need info on "twice exceptional" kids (LD & gifted)

I have a ton of questions about "twice exceptional" kids (LD & gifted)...I think that I have one :-O

* do you have one?
* how did you figure it out?
* does he or she have decoding issues? What worked learning how to read?
* what has the school done - assessment-wise and support-wise?
* any recommended books?
* advice? facts? any info?

lapizz

Asked by lapizz at 8:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't "think", have your child tested and get it on paper. Once you have it in writing, then you can go into the school and get special help. You can get tutoring to help with any LDs and if also tested at gifted, then you can get them into the gifted programs in elementary school and middle school. But too many parents "think" and go into the schools without the proper testing having been done. You can have the testing done yourself OR if you put it in to writing - you can have the school do the testing. But HAVE YOUR CHILD TESTED!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/twice_exceptional.htm
    this website is a good place to start to find information on 2E issues. Excellent information on all things 2E
    emay55

Answer by emay55 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Doubly exceptional children are some of the most difficult to educate. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about it. I don't have any books to recomend off the top of my head, but I do know some researcher's in the gifted field, and have some decent experience with it.

I agree with the first poster - early testing and detection are key!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 12:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2010