cant infant have h2o

I've recently been told that giving infants water can cause seizures and they shouldnt have it until six months. Is this true?

prudy300

Asked by prudy300 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of that. Most formula that isn't ready to go needs water to make it, and millions of babies drink it everyday so I wouldn't see how that is true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 100% true and the exact advice my pediatrician gave me. None of my babies ever even took a sip of water before 7 months. They get all the fluids they need from breastmilk or formula.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It depends,,, I wouldn't do it on any kind of regualr basis,, but if you have been out in the heat,, a couple of small sips of water will not hurt,, of course you should try to avoid getting the little one too hot,,,There has been a rash of people forcing their infants to drink water,, one mother claimed it was because she didn't want t a FAT baby! Babies can't process water like older children,, and it messes with their electrolytes,,, Hope this helped!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Anon, she means water without formula mixed in. If babies get water, it throws off their delicate electrolyte balance and yes can cause seizures.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Oh, same thing can happen if you dilute their formula too. It's very important to mix formula according to the directions.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• agree w kimi
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It's called water intoxication.
    Babies get all the liquid they need from breastmilk (or formula).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2010