New Bill Gives Obama Kill Switch' To Shut Down The Internet... Absolute power??

The characters 'Pinky and the Brain' come to mind after seeing this recent story. Does Obama REALLY want to CONTROL everything?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/17/internet-kill-switch-woul_n_615923.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No anon :56, I don't want any government control of the internet where they can declare an "emergency" and then restrict the flow of information. (I don't play games on the computer, the Wii, the Xbox 360 and the like. At 51 yo, it seems so - juvenile.) We already have the Emergency Broadcast System. Use that to get info out. I have a friend who worked for an American company in Beijing. She always knew when there was some world event happening because they lost internet and tv for hours or days. It is that future possibility which worries me. It should worry you. Why doesn't it worry you that the people in our government want the power to possibly control the information you will be able to get? Don't use the excuse that "without this the price will double" game. Why will it double? What will drive it up so from what is available now? Oh, I know - government intervention.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• seriously? I havent heard of this. This seems like dictatorship. What would be a reason for wanting to shut down the internet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• meh... i didn't vote for him for a reason. my hands are clean, but that doesn't mean i can't be upset... seriously? i understand the whole "national security" thing... but i just LOVE the fact that this is showing that they listen in on our conversations and such... lovely.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It's only been proposed and it's been proposed before. I doubt it goes anywhere.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.htmlt

The bill hasn't passed yet. The only way to keep this from happening is to make your opinion known is to contact your reprsentatives in Congress. Make sure they know you don't want ANY internet control not just a watered down version that they can ramp up later.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Wow anon :42, the Chinese "shut down" their internet all the time when world events are not fit for their citizens to see (or China's for that matter) Plus, what a "potty mouth" you have. Respond like an adult please and not a school girl that had her kick ball taken.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• AS much as I dislike Obama (which is putting it mildly!), as I understand this bill--he would be given the power to shut down teh networks of PRIVATE COMPANIES that have to do with the nation's infrastructure.  I don't think he has plans to shut down social networking sites, blogs, conservative sites, and the like.  But, I could be wrong!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

"the most controversial language begins in Section 201, which permits the president to "direct the national response to the cyber threat" if necessary for "the national defense and security." The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical, and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• As far as it not going anywhere before doesnt change a thing now. Obama does not care if the people say no. It is what HE wants and he will pull all of his weight to get it!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• --he would be given the power to shut down teh networks of PRIVATE COMPANIES that have to do with the nation's infrastructure. I don't think he has plans to shut down social networking sites, blogs, conservative sites, and the like. But, I could be wrong!

How is this even okay in anyones mind? People are supposed to be able to run their companies as they choose and the government should never get involved. That is what the BBB is for.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• so jesse, you don't want ANY regulation of the internet? Broadband under FCC control doesn't sound good to you? How about tiered internet, just like your cable service, where you have to pay more for access to some sites? Without ANY regulation of the internet, this is exactly where we are heading. Unless you want your internet service bill to double or triple just so you can keep playing Farmville (or whatever) we really need to get behind some level of regulation, if for no other reason than to preserve the natural state of the internet.
    OP, this has been proposed several times, it's been attached to several bills, it was included in the 2006 Defense Authorization Act and was removed from the final version. It's one of those things that they know they have to do on some level, they just don't have the foggiest idea how. The idea is so vague at this point that there have been very few Senators who were comfortable withit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2010