I have two kids ages 8, 5. What is the proper amount of allowance to give them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I personally don't believe in allowance. I do believe everyone is to do thier chores because they live in the house and need to contribute. If they want to to "extra" things around the house, then pay them for the extras that they do perform.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Our kid 8 and 9 have the OPTION to earn up to $1, per day on SELECT MONEY chores! We have 3 set of chores around the house, everyday chores that must be done, NO MONEY, clean room, put away toys, pick up after self, make bed, etc. We then have those things that they can do to earn money. They are thing that are helpful if done daily, but the house will not fall apart if they are not done These are our MONEY chores: pick up dog poop in our 1/2 acre yard, sweep the yard trampoline, and outside steps, porch area, vacuum living room carpet, and dust. How much money if any they kids earn is totally depended on if they did a money chore and how many money chores. They can max out at $1 per day. We pay them every 2 weeks and on average they only get $5-8 on pay day. This means that many days they do not do "money chores". Which is fine with me, after all it teaches them how much they earn is based on job performance.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I too don't believe in allowance. If a kid needs extra money,they need to get a paper route or similar job. YOU don't get paid per se for housework,its just expected that certain things need to be done,and its the individual's job to do them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• For the 3rd set of chores those are the HELP MOMMY: throughout the day I may ask them to do things like set the table, get the wash out of the dryer, sweep the floors, wipe down counters, scrub a toilet, mop the bathroom floor, etc. Don't get me wrong I do many of those things too, but I have no problem telling my kids I need you to go do get the cloths out of the dryer, while I wash these dishes. Or I need you to sweep the kitchen floor while I go scrub down the bathroom toilet and tub. They do NOT get money for those things either. They are expected to pitch in and help as needed, just like they are expected to do their EVERY DAY chores, make bed, pick up toys, put their stuff away, without payment. On one level I agree that kids should not be paid to do things that help keep the household running smooth, but at the same time I think they should have a chance to earn some bucks. That's why we have 3 set of chores and they..
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• can only earn MONEY on the money chores.
    SAHMinIL2

• I agree, they need to do something to earn the money, and in my home each chore has a different price. SAHMinIl has it pretty much right on.. there are certain things that are expected while others are things that they can earn money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• they are to young for allowance, I reward with something special like taking them for ice cream etc.
    msoto11

Answer by msoto11 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My daughter gets $2/week, and it is NOT in payment for doing her chores.. If she fails to do her regular chores, she doesn't get it, because she is not showing enough responsibility to have her own money. She can do other jobs at our house for a bit extra money, but they tend to be "unfun" jobs that she would not otherwise normally be asked to do -- weeding the garden, washing the car, etc.

She socks it away in a coffee can under her bed, and usually uses it for things like buying xmas presents for people.
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 12:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My kids get $4/week for their chores. I give them $2 directly to spend/save as they wish, and $2 goes into their savings accounts at the credit union. They enjoy getting their statements and seeing the interest added into their accounts - and I think it's a good money lesson for them as well. It is a savings account for just that and they are not allowed to pull the money out to spend on anything. It will accrue until they are 16, at which point I will allow them to take it out to pay for their half of their car (I will pay for the other half) and if they have any left over at that point, they can put it into a regular checking account. (They are now 8 and 10 - we started this when they were 6 and 8)
    They also have additional chores that they do not get paid for, but are required.

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My kids are old enough to have part time jobs now but back in the day we gave them $.50 per year. Your 5 year old would get $2.50 a week and your 8 year old would get $4.00 a week. It worked for us, the money was not tied into chores exactly but if their chores did not get done they paid me or a sibling to do them. If room was a wreck and I had to go in and do their work they paid me for my time, thus if your 8y/o "pays" you to clean his room he would be docked $2 come payday, if he pays sibling it is up to them to work out the pay per job. I only cleaned two bedrooms with this system because my kiddo were money hungry. LOL

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010