Six months unemployed, and feeling resentful

I live in one of the hardest hit areas of the country by the deep recession. I have been deligently looking for work (going every day to the workforce and so on). Last week I went to my bank to make a withdrawal. I had to vent about the difficulty finding stable work. The tellers told me to go to the ACS (Army Career Service) because there was a call center hiring. Soon after I went on base to find out about the center. ACS wouldn't talk to me unless I was a dependent. The civilian work force doesn't turn away dependents, why should the ACS turn away civilians (total civilians)? Plus, I dread the veteran question on civilian applications. I'm starting to feel resentful. Believe me, I would join the military, but I'm a single mom. When will there be a balanced universe (jobwise)? And, when will tax payers get more respect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• See, I don't understand questions like yours. If you are area is so bad, why don't you move? In Missouri, we are actually having issues trying to find people to fill our jobs. This is ridiculous. People have to realize, jobs don't come to them. You have to get out there and find them. If it requires moving, you must do it. Eventually people, there will be no government assistance, so it will be either sink or swim. I think you seriously need to consider swimming before it's too late. Sympathy does not pay the bills kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Of course, Anon. It's always just THAT easy. Just pick up and move! I'm sure there could never be any circumstances that you don't know about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• So.....you're resentful towards the military for not hiring civilians over military dependents?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Anon :38, there may be many reasons why the OP doesn't move. In most states, a parent cannot take a child across state borders without the other parent's consent. That means her child's father could prevent the move. She could also be too broke to move; moving costs money and unless she has a job waiting, moving could be futile and put her in an even worse position.

As an anon poster who claims there are plenty of jobs in your area, why don't you post the town you live in? According to the Missouri Department of Labor, the unemployment rate in Missouri is equal to the rest of the nation. Just wondering why all the unemployed in your state aren't taking all those jobs that you say are out there.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Why is everyone anonymous?
    Here are a few thoughts:
    It may be impossible to move for any number of reasons.
    Is there a reason you're looking for govt work other than stability?
    If you need to improve your education or job skills have you looked to see what you can use that is free or low cost?
    Finally, if you are willing to work period to bring in any money: try tori johnson's women for hire website where you can find work at home stuff that is legit - even though low pay, it is pay.
    **experience speaking here: divorced for 12 years, single mom raised three kids while finishing college/getting jobs/keeping kids on track.

Best to you - don't let anyone shake your confidence.You can find something.
    Foothold_Svcs

Answer by Foothold_Svcs at 10:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i think she is just depressed that she can't find a job and it sounds like she has tryed a lot to find one, and to the poster who told her to move. life isn't always that eazy, as a single mom and because of my custody issue with my ex i cant move because i would be "kidnapping" my children,,,maybe she has the same issue or something similar.....try to under stand the person before you bash them......to the orginal post please hang in there you will find a job more with a positive approach than with a negative one...good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• In Missouri, we are actually having issues trying to find people to fill our jobs.

I live in Missouri.  9.3% unemployment rate.  Someone is blowing smoke. 

My sympathies, OP.  Things are tough all over. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I can't say I've ever been in your shoes, OP (knocks on wood), BUT, if jobs are scarce, and you are considering EVERYTHING (even jobs that at one point you would have considered "beneath you," and you cannot move because your divorce decree prevents such a thing, then I would petition the courts, demanding that either your ex-husband forks over MORE money so that you and your children can LIVE, or allow you to move to where jobs ARE available--expressing that the current unemployment and economic situation in your area (and nationally) dictates that you need to do what is necessary to provide for your family!

I cannot imagine ANY judge refusing to increase your child support/alimony OR preventing you from moving to where you CAN support your children!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I cannot imagine ANY judge refusing to increase your child support/alimony

Easy - that assumes the father wasn't also laid off. Judges around the country are reducing support orders, not increasing them. Guys who were laid off and making only 1/2 or 1/3 on u/e as they did in pay were literally being put out on the street (sometimes with their children from a 2nd marriage) because of child support based on their previous salary. There's not a whole lot of increasing going on these days.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP, hang in there. I hope things get better for you.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 12:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010