• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a problem.

OK so my step sons for sure are allergic to bees, wasps etc etc and I am pretty sure my DD would be too. There are so many of these bugs outside my house and I don't drive. I want the kids to play outside but I fear they will get stung and I know that their father is extreamly allergic and actually would probably die if he got stung. I really am worried to take them outside but I don't want them stuck inside all summer. What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 19 (7,071 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Have them wear an epi pen on a lanyard around their neck,and make sure those around them know how to use it. You can't keep them inside forever.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • I would call someone if you have an issue with bees or get some outside traps to help! Keep epi pen and Benadryl close as well!


    Answer by MoriahL at 10:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • First you can make sure they wear neutral colored clothing outside. (Beige and gray) Bright colors are only going to attract stinging insects. You can also try to sculpt a sandwich size paper bag into a beehive shape and hang it where they would typically travel. The theory is bees and wasps avoid hives that are not their own. You may need to put packing peanuts or a balloon in it to help hold it's shape. Also perfumes and scented hairsprays are a no-no too. If the kids will let you, pin fabric softener sheets to the back of their shirts.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • My grandson and I both have to carry epipens. A kid can't wear one around their neck. They are big and they aren't supposed to get hot. Just have an epipen available. I keep them in a bag in my purse with my grandson and my medical info.

    You NEED to learn to drive and get your license. You are handicapping yourself and your children. Take the written test and get a learners permit. The book to study for the test should be online. If driving makes you nervous, get over it. If you have to go to counseling to get over it then go to counseling. Women need to be able to drive. It is more disabling than having to use a wheelchair. I use a wheelchair.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • And yes it should go without saying a person with a known allergy should carry an epi pen for emergencies.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Gaill, it is the fact that in one year 4 of my friends passed in car accidents and only one was a passanger. Also it has to do with money. The test in NY is 85 bucks and I simply do not have that nor do I have $220 for car payments(I will take over my friends car) or insurence so. That is out of the question RIGHT NOW, but I will by next year for sure!!!

    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Epi-Pen!

    Answer by Sisteract at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • teach your children proper use of an epi pen and what to do if they do get stung. keep an eye on them and keep emergency numbers at hand!

    Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 2:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.