Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a probelm(PIOG)

OK so my step sons for sure are allergic to bees, wasps etc etc and I am pretty sure my DD would be too. There are so many of these bugs outside my house and I don't drive. I want the kids to play outside but I fear they will get stung and I know that their father is extreamly allergic and actually would probably die if he got stung. I really am worried to take them outside but I don't want them stuck inside all summer. What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 19 (7,071 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • get an epipen and live your life

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Make sure that each of them that have proven bee allergies have epipens and have benadryl on hand for your daughter because you cannot get an epipen for her until she has a proven attack.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Pay for or an exterminator to come and spray to get rid of them or at least reduce the numbers. Is there a nest somewhere on your property? Is so pay for an exterminator to get rid of it. There really isn't much more that you can do other then pay for an exterminator and learn not to be "afraid" of them. Generally speaking if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. It's flipping out when you are near them that excites them and cause panic in them. If they are panic, or feel they are in danger then they are more likely to sting. Stinging is the last thing they want to do because they die within hours of using their stinger.  Becuase of that they aren't going to sting unless they feel threaten.


    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • oh yeah and the epipens and benedryl is good advice too!

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Can't afford to hire anyone to do anything lol. I have epipens but I only have 2 and they cost 100 bucks EACH! Just don't want anything to happen with the kids and it is worrisome.

    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • My husband is highly allergic to bees and none of our children are. They have all been stung but, none of them had any reaction.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Well I know the boys are for sure! I have epipens for them I'm worried about my DD more she's 2 1/2 and it worries me because anytime a bug comes by her she freaks out! I don't want her freaking out and bothering the bee and it stinging her you know?

    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Since you aren't allergic then YOU need to get rid of them. Figure out what exactly it is you have and where their nests are. Then go online and google "how to get rid of xxxx" We had a yellow jacket nest awhile back. The only reason we found out was because my dog investigated the nest. LOL. Poor girl. We went to Home Depot, bought a can of something that said it killed yellow jackets. Then about an hour after it got dark my husband put on jeans and a hooded jacket with the hood up and gloves. He sprayed the entire can into the nest and then covered the hole (the nest was in a hole in the ground) with a trash can lid. I stood by a good distance back with the hose, in case he got attacked, but it was all good.

    Answer by Christina807 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.