What age did your child(ren) learn to swim??

How old, and what are the circumstances (like do you have a pool/lake on your property/ do you live somewhere that you can swim more than just in the summer.)
Just wondering. my son is 4. swim very well with water wings but he is so attached to them. i just signed him up for a preschool swim class at the local rec center to help him get over the water wing obsession he has going. he is fearless with them - jumping in, swimming around etc....

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 11:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• she was 4 when she learned how to swim. I never gave her those floaty things, i would just hold her in the water & play with her. She got comfortable enough that she just figured it out on her own.

I have a few friends with a pool, so we have options as far as findinf a place to swim. We spend a good chunck of the summer at a pool.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Like me they have always known how to swim to some extent. I was a life guard and swim instructor. As toddlers they could kick their feet, move their arms, keep their head above water, and make it across a small pool. My grandson is 20 mo and he is learning now. I don't believe in water wings. If a kid need something to wear to hold them up it should be a PFD.

The problem is he is fearless with those water wings. That's wrong. He should only do the things he can do with them off. Now he has to relearn everything. That means changing brain pathways and that's harder than doing it right in the first place. A parent can teach a child how to swim. There is info online on how to do it and how to do the different strokes. Classes may be fun.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have given my kids swimming lessons since they were infants. First it was just to spalsh and get used to the pool - then it was kicking and blowing bubbles etc. We never used those arm wing things - we did however use the chest/back floats sometimes. Kids tend to learn better without those false safety devises. We have a pool at our home and we also have a local YMCA with an indoor pool to swim during the winter months. Just take your time so he is not terrified and have fun!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We have a pool that we are in at least every other day.

My son really started doing well at 4...then at 5 very well. He is still more cautious than his little sister though.

My dd knew how to swim like a fish at 2. She is 4 now. She is fearless and would just jump in and go! lol...

I think learning how to swim is easier for those with less fear....if you are fearful then it slows you down.

I wondered about getting them lessons at the Y though just to help strengthen them and let them learn different techniques :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Oh and we never used any arm floats either. Neither one ever wanted them, they do like to float on the noodles just for fun though.

My dd goes all the way to the bottom and swims the entire length of the pool, really, she is better than me LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My kids learned to swim once they could touch the bottom of our pool. Around 6 years old. Before that they wore floaties or some other flotation device in the pool. My middle daughter swims the best. She was terrified of water after almost drowning in a creek at 3 until a couple summers ago when we finally got her in the water with floaties on (she was 5 1/2). Now at 7 1/2 she jumps right in and can swim across the pool (above and below the water).
    The older 2 can swim but I'm not sure how they would do in deeper water since right now there's the reassurance that the bottom is right there when they need it. But I think if it were calm circumstances they would figure it out pretty quick. I learned to swim the same way. I'm not a strong swimmer but I know enough to not drown and try to get to safety.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Don't worry about the water wings! I have found that kids can learn to swim pretty quickly once they are willing to put their heads under water. My son learned at about 4 or 5 (I honestly can't remember) because I was in the pool and he was jumping in and playing with water wings on and I simply told him that he could swim the same way without them if he was willing to try. So, he jumped in and started swimming! The pool is in our backyard, 52 inches so over his head at that time....no shallower end or anything like that. I was in the pool with him of course, but he was swimming on his own from that point on!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• They became independent swimmers at about age 4. They were comfortable in the water when they were about 2.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 5. We have a community pool. All my kids LOVE the water. I dont think kids swim like they are taught in lessons, ya know the ice cream scooop. They doggie paddle.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I enrolled my son in Infant Swimming Resource when he was about 16 months old, so he graduated from that when he was 18months old. I need to enroll him in a refresher course for this summer. He's now 2 and 4 months and is very comfortable in the water, can hold his breath and float and flip and swim a short distance.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010