My 20yrs old single daughter is pregnant and just found out our insurance doesn`t cover her for maturnity..now what?

Insurance stopped covering dependents as of 1-1-10 for maturnity and can`t afford to pay all the bills rolling in and just found out now she has hypothyrodism. Plase any suggestions?

Zoey222

Asked by Zoey222 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• medicaid
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• welfare
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Find a free clinic nearby. Make sure she signs up for WIC and any free childrens health care plan in your area.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• she needs to apply for medicaid. If she has no job, she will get medicaid for pregnancy. They never deny a pregnant woman with no job.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I assume you claim her on your taxes? You might not be able to get medicaid since she has insurance,,it sounds like you do? How far along is she? Can she get a job until the baby arrives?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Okay,, I apologize,, I was thinking you meant for maternity leave,, LOL--Yes Medicaid should help in this case!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Have her apply for Medicaid or Healthy Start. If she lives in your home though, she may have to use yours and your husbands income on the application as well as her own, if she's working. So if the income is too high, she may not get approved. But I think there may be a loophole in healthy start covering those that are uninsured while they are pregnant to make sure that proper maternity care is given. Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• So a job is out of the question? What about the father?
    Anonymous

• I agree with medicaid, but why is this your responsiblity? There is a reason your insurance won't cover it, she is an adult and should act like one and get her own insurance.
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon :26. When I got pregnant my dads insurance kicked me off. I wasnt expecting them to pay for it. I was my own insurance through my work and they kicked me off once they found out i was seeing a midwife. (for pre-existing condition) so I just paid out of pocket of all my bills since welfare didnt approve me. I was 19 then and had my own place, your daughter is 20 she needs to grow up and take care of herself. She's going to have a baby and needs to learn to be an adult and not depend on mommy for everything.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010