I have to get rid of a dog

We have a husky mix that is about 5 years old. She came from the shelter, where she went after being badly abused and neglected by her previous owners. lately she has become aggressive towards our other 3 dogs. They are all bigger than her, but she attacks them for no reason, and she's usually the one that ends up bleeding. Last night we got home and she was out back on top of my other dog biting and making the most terrible sound. When we got them apart she had a huge chunk taken out of her head right above her eye. I can't take the fighting and vet visits anymore, and I'm afraid one time a kid might get in the middle of it. I'm going to call the humane society and put her on the list for adoption. How it works here is that she stays with us until a home is found. I'm sad about it because she is a sweetheart to us, but I don't know what else to do. Am I doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pets

• The Human Society might not take her. She should probably go back to a "no kill" facility. Check to see if there are some near you. You can also check on Petfinder.com. I know there is a shelter in Paducah, it's 'no kill", but they know which dogs they can adopt out and which dogs should never go into a home. That is where you need to start. If someone gets her from the Human Society, they are looking for suitable family pets, she is not. Please do the right thing. I would hate for some family to get her and she hurts a kid or another animal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Are all your dogs fixed? It seems as if you have more than 2 alpha dogs. This is a big NO-NO! You can have one alpha male & one alpha female, but if you have 2 alpha females or 2 alpha males.....there is going to be fighting! This is how they determine who is actually the alpha dog. Why on earth would you want 4 dogs anyway? Thats just nuts.

Yes, you're doing the right thing. It's not fair to the dogs to keep fighting all the time, she needs to go.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I agree about finding a new home, but I would put a free ad in the paper first.

I believe the humane society will put them on the adoption list for a while and then if they are not adopted they put them to sleep, and from what I know about ours, they will not contact you to give you the dog back before that happens.

Maybe I am wrong, but thats what I heard about ours.

Or maybe you could find family or friends who would be willing to take her, so she wouldnt have to be around other dogs or kids.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would look for a home without other dogs,, you can go on craigslist and advertise,, and you should go and check out her new home before you hand her over,, Is she aggressive towards people? If so you need to take her to the shelter,, It is so awful when people make dogs aggressive,,,You tried to save her, but you cannot risk your kids,, hugs to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• The Humane Society here is not the animal shelter. They do not take dogs, the dog stays in my home until a home is found for her. If no home is found then I keep her. I'm going to put an ad in the paper, and try other ways, I will not take her to the shelter here though because they kill after 7 days.
    As for my 4 dogs, yes they are all fixed, and it's really not your business why I have 4 dogs. I live in the country with lots of land that's all fenced and my dogs are all cared for and loved very much. She has always been the alpha female, and our catahoula is the alpha male. That's never even been fought for between dogs, it's just been known. My 90lb German Shepherd has never even attempted to fight her for the title, and she could easily win, and the other male is a chubby mutt that is perfectly content just being lazy and by himself and he's usually the one she attacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I live in a small town in WY and we have few resources here. I will check the bigger cities around us. Obviously I will put that she needs to go to a family with no small children and no other dogs. I don't think she'd ever hurt a person, even a child, but as her behavior has changed so much over the past year I'm not sure. She's always been an angel to my kids, even my 1 yr old, she's just nervous. I will not let a family take her that doesn't have all the information they need to know about her first.
    I have always been a very responsible pet owner, and my pets are like my children. Thanks you all for the advice.
    Anonymous

• Taking her to a shelter to me is the easy way out. I feel as an owner, it's your job to find her a new loving home. Try putting her on craigslist and tell WHY you are giving her away. Don't try to make money off her you can add a "small" rehoming fee to help ensure a home. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I will not charge money for her. Putting her up through the humane society is completely free for the both parties. I will not take her to the shelter in this town because they put them down after only 7 days, and I feel that is not enough time to find her a decent home.
    Anonymous

• you have no choice, she will end up dead otherwise....I had to rehome a dog for a very similar reason, only he was trying to kill one of my other dogs/was fine with everyone and everything else but had it out for the other dog and they were not even kept in the same space (one was outside and the other inside). IT is dangerous for the dog, for you and for anyone else who might try to break up the fight and you are doing the right thing, she may just need to be an only child. You may want to consider crating her when you are not there and maybe even crating the other dogs to avoid a huge mess
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 6:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010