I'am 46 just started a techinal college help.

I don't think I could do this.I don't like math and school just started May 24,2010(summer school) and its over my head.I only have a high school diploma and I need more. so I can get out of this apt I'am in . I don't like the apt because its government housing so I decide to go to school to better myself and my family which Iam divorce. Iam working 2 jobs to try and make all the bills from credit cards to rent iam full time in school working on an assicoate degree in child care & deveploment of young children.Iam so afraid I will fall on my face and be home less because I only have 4 year to get this degree which take 2 years because then the apt rent will go regular because my daughter will be 18 my son is in college doing ok however he's hanging in there. the college i go to is ok however my deveplomental math class and reading class she puts you in front if the computure and you just go for it. my lab class is good

hope2013

Asked by hope2013 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ask her for some tutoring recommendations. Don't quit yet. I am 46 and I am going back to school this summer. I had attended two years ago as well. If you check around, there are some excellent study groups and tutoring out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Summer school classes can be harder if they are shorter you are trying to do in 6-10 weeks what is usually done in 16 weeks. If you are taking online courses you can count on them taking about twice as much time as regular classes. I have 2 sons taking full time (12 cr hr) courses at a community college. One has all online, the other some online and some regular. Courses are not done well at all, all the students are confused, instructors don't answer emails or do their jobs, and they don't care how you do or if they fail you.

It's easy panic. Do something instead. There are lots of people that could help you. There may be free help at the school you are attending. You may be able to find someone to help you for free in your community or online. Quit thinking about all your problems and focus on getting through math with a C.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Hi, I am 39 and attend a technical college in cincinnati, Oh. I also had to take the developmental math. My class was a computer based class where we did most of the work on our own and then went in to the class one night a week last summer for our test and our teacher was there to help us if we had questions. At my school, there is a tutoring center for all kinds of subjects. I passed th math and then had to take chemistry and that was waaaaay over my head so I had to go to tutoring at school it was free and the tutor was so great! He just explained so well that I got and I passed the class.

I wish you the best of luck and I would for sure try the tutoring center at your school it is free at I think most schools and you will be surpirsed at how much it will help you:)

melkkz

Answer by melkkz at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Congratulations for going back to school.

I remember when I went back, I was overwhelmed as well - especially by the math. It can be tough if you haven't been in school for a while but know you're not alone. You're facing a lot of new things all at once so it's common to feel the way you do.

I agree with the others to seek out help. Your technical college may have a guidance office or you can ask your instructor if he or she knows where you can get help.

Chances are if you are getting your degree in child development you won't need that much math so concentrate on just getting through this class. Take it a day at a time and seek out help.

Good luck and keep at it.
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 12:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Your kids are big and there shouldn't be that much math required. Get a tutor. You can do it. You already know a lot of this child development just from raising two kids. You will do fine.
    Anonymous

• Rather than a technical college, I would go to a community college. Take Microsoft office classes (at least Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and at least one bookkeeping class. Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010