When do babies grow out of the "SIDS" phase??

I heard it was a year..but im not sure. my 7mth old son, is starting to flip on his belly and sleep. Should i be worried about that? cause i am.

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually when they learn how to roll over from their front to their back...that's what my daughter's ped. said.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• i'm not sure... sids is caused by many other factors. but if you're nervous about it, you could buy a video monitor. that's what we did so i can watch him breathing while he sleeps.

http://www.sids.org/
    renee658

Answer by renee658 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• They say each phase of their development it lessens, such as rolling, crawling, learning to breath through their nose and mouth, etc. I've read it's not until 1. I think after they're able to roll on their own you can stop worring so much. I would still keep blankets and loose clothing and stuff clear of your baby while sleeping until he/she is able to move items on their own while half way sleeping. I think my daughter was around 11 months or so when i noticed she would nap and move her blanky on top of her and then off her face if it was too close.
    nattymaesmomma

Answer by nattymaesmomma at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• I worried too when my son started flipping over and sleeping on his stomach. My doctor told me that a baby that can roll over easily both ways is usually past the high risk period for SIDS. She said to still put him to sleep on his back but not to worry if he rolls onto his tummy.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• If he can roll over, you do not need to worry about how he sleeps. Just put him down on his back and let him get comfy however he wants.

Officially, SIDS is the sudden, unexplained death of a healthy infant anytime in the first year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2008

• My son was flipping back to tummy the day we came home from the hospital, he refuses to sleep on his back...I slept on my tummy when i was a baby cause back then that's what ya did.. I'm fine.. he is fine.. he rolls front to back, and back to front now.. he is 3 months.
    JaelynS

Answer by JaelynS at 12:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2008

• Keep in mind, even after a year, a child can still die suddenly in his/her sleep. It's not called SIDS though, it's called something else but it has happened. I guess there was an article about this in one of the big parenting magazines and until I read that, I never knew it happened but it does. Peak SIDS occurrence is between two and four months of age.
    simplyjaneen

Answer by simplyjaneen at 1:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2008