Does anyone wax thier own legs?

I have always had sensitive skin but this summer it seems to be the worst. Everytime I shave my legs I end up with irritated bumps all over, not ingrown hairs, almost more like a rash. I always make sure to exfoliate. I tried using lotion but it just makes it worse.

So I was looking into waxing. If I go to the salon in town they want $50 to do it! I cannot bring myself to pay that. So I wanted to try to wax them myself. Do you ladies have any advice on brands or techniques?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have tried and I all I can say is OUCH!! And Ill never do it again. But GL to you :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• That's what I'm afraid of. I tried once in hs and gave up after the first strip lol. But I remember that strip being nice and smooth for days lmao.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well if you can stand the pain then I say go for it. Im just a baby when it comes to pain :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't wax my legs, but I do wax my eyebrows and down there at home. I just the nair wax. It is the kind that self heats when you rub it between your hands, also it is cool mint and that makes all the difference in the world, the cool mint wax doesn't hurt a third as much as regular hot wax does. The kind I use also comes with calming strips that you put on right after you wax the hair off that helps a lot.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• well, you can buy wax kids at home...

but if your sensitive it may not solve your problem. However it will cut back on how often you have to shave your legs.

Secondly you have to know the proper way to wax. Do you know how to apply it? in which direction to pull the strip? You pay $50.00 because people are trianed to do this, they know how to apply the strip, the correct pressure needed, which direction to pull, how it can effect your skin, and the best ways to sooth the skin afterwards to prevent irritation.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Now if you want to save money, you can check out local beauty schools in your area and see if they offer cheaper leg waxings.

When I was in school for this, legs were $35.00 for a full leg wax.. and $20.00 for just from the knee and below.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I shave my legs, but I do use the Nair cream for my bikini line. It works great. You just rub it on, wait 3 minutes, then rinse it off in the shower. It only costs about $4 for a tube of it, and I never get those little red bumps or irritation.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You can get a product called Tend Skin from salons and it prevents bumps, razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc. It works great! But when I want a wax, I go to a salon and just pay the money - upside is that it lasts a long time so you don't have to go like every week or anything.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Shaving is easier and cheap.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2010