How can I get my 6 yr old to eat?

She is a child that expresses her thoughts and feeling very well and goes into great detail explaining her plight. She no longer likes the tastes of food she has previously liked. She is no longer interested in meat or poultry eating it just occasionally. She has asked me to take her to the doctor to find out why this is happening. Is her doctor the best option or is a nutritionist the way to go?

elizdonato

Asked by elizdonato at 11:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would take her to the doctor frist and see if there can be any thing wrong then they would refer you to a nutritionist. i am having the same problem with my 4 year old. GL :)
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i see you have a little problem from your child from eating,well are you giving your child a juice or a sweet drink with the meals, if yes, try not to give him or her a drink with meals right away, until they finish there meal frist.or if they asked for something,try a little water cold if possible.or add a little juice to the water.you can give them a straw to make it fun,that way they dont drink as much,while there eating.amd give them a small portion,to them it looks like they dont have alot on their plate when you serve them in big plates.use small plates too.and small plastic glass.well i hope i help you out a little, and hope your tommorrows are better.hang in there, we are cheering for you.thank you for giving us a few minutes of your like. take care!
    iforgotit

Answer by iforgotit at 12:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well.. What IS your child eating? A kid that young has relatively low protein needs, so eating little meat issn't a big nutritional problem, as long as they are eating some foods with protein. As long as your child is eating a nutritionally diverse diet, with lots of good fruits and veggies they'll probably be fine. Little ones can be pretty random sometimes about that they like the taste of and what they don't, it's pretty normal, and will probably start to mellow out some in teh next year or two.
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 12:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my son is almost 6 and he hasn't eaten right since he was 3. The only dairy he will drink is chocolate milk and he will actually go all day without food because he has developed sensitive taste buds and a sensitive sense of smell. The other day he refused to eat then at 10 pm he wanted pizza, desperate I made him one and he ate a slice. I was thinking he would be so hungry by that time but a slice filled him up. The Dr's. try to tell me what to do I get special cookbooks for picky kids...I swear none of these people have ever actually dealt with a picky eater! My son is a twig and without muscle tone, he won't even eat a gummy vitaman.
    His diet is mainly cereal both hot and cold, corn dogs, pizza,pop tarts and he will eat a banana if he knows it will lead to a cookie.
    He will also eat watermelon and blueberry pancakes, he doesn't drink much juice at all.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I"d do the doctor first. May be an issue that is causing her stomach to hurt when she eat's certain foods like reflux or an ulcer. And she has come to associate food with pain. HUGS to you momma!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 3:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Actually children's eating habits change as they acquire new tastes for other foods. And people eat differently in the summer than winter. We eat lighter in warmer weather than cold weather. I would ask her what her favorite foods are and try to fit some of them in to meal time for her.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Perhaps your vegetarian child will lead you down a road to better health and more energy! Here is some great information: http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes/vegetarian-advantages.htm and http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes.htm 

Send me a message if you would like to chat, or if you would like some great recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It could just be a phase my 6 y/o is pretty close to the same way. It's a new thing. He just decided that he doesn't like certain things lately, even his usual favorites. They taste funny.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• she is at the age where her friends are starting to infleunce her decisions. Also, at that age their taste change. they change again some where in their teens but you will be so busy trying not to strangle her you won't notice. Then when they go off to college they will live on Ramen noodles and pizza. You will survive. i would talk to her doc her next visit,
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2010