Has anyone heard of posteromedial tibial bowing?

My daughter was born with posteromedial tibial bowing of her left leg. The doctors say that it will correct itself, however, she will most likely have a leg length discrepancy. They say it can be anywhere from 2 to 6 cm. I don't believe this is a very common condition. Does anyone else have a child with this condition?

AMsMom1

Asked by AMsMom1 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Thats what the doctors thought with me as well. I couldnt walk or anything. My parents got a second opinion and I actually had club foot. Mine was really severe but it is genetic. When I did the research on it my mom said that symptoms can mimic the other. However it can correct itself if not severe and if it bugs her or you see a dramatic change in the way she is walking like she falls over more then normal you can get it corrected with a surgery that will shorten the leg.
    Anonymous

• Please can I correct the previous answer, the 2 are completely different. Club foot involves the foot alone. Posteromedial tibial bowing involves the shin bone being actually bent, & can involve the foot having a calcano-valgus malformation which is completely opposite to the tibia-varus deformity in club foot. Put simply the back of the foot is bent one way in your child's condition and the front of the foot is bent in the opposite direction in the other. Before birth the ultrasound diagnosis can be mistaken, but after birth it is obvious.
    My daughter had a severe PMT bowing (about 70 degrees). It is a very rare condition, so alot of doctors won't immediately know it. It does correct gradually over the first few years of life. My daughter initially walked on her ankle with her foot off the ground, bent up in the air. She now walks almost totally on the bottom of her foot. I can tell you more- mail me.
    mumdoc

Answer by mumdoc at 2:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'm a mum in Sweden. My daughter was also born with posteromedial tibial bowing. Like mumdoc's daughter she had a 70 degree bowing of her left leg. We were lucky enough to get an orthopedist who had seen the condition five times before around the world. But yes, it is rare.

Have your daughters had no treatment at all? My girl had bandages for the first five months to help her leg grow straight and she still has a supporting splint. She started walking at ten months and is doing fine. But there is a length discrepancy, so the doctors are starting to talk about orthopedic shoes to make her legs even and perhaps also surgery to correct what is left of the bowing, now circa 25-30 degrees. My daughter is now 13 months old.
    AneLin

Answer by AneLin at 5:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Hi even my daughter is born with that,she is 18 months now.and walks normally.Last month in her review the doctor said that there is a lenth dii bet 0.5-1 cm.
    Initiallly when she is born there are some streching exercises we have done at home.Thats all.The bowing is still present.
    The doctor told that probably she would operate at the age of 6-7.
    Iam in UK right now.Can anybody help me with a fw more sugestions.
    durga21

Answer by durga21 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know this is a really old post. But if you still check this site and could update on your baby (well now toddlers) condition, I would appreciate it. My baby was born with the same thing. She is currently 6 months old and they still do not want to do anything with it. It kills me because she now wants to pull her self up and stand and she is struggling.
    But please inbox me if you still come on here.. i would love to know how your child is doing?
    mamma2B666

Answer by mamma2B666 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• Same for me, my doughter is 4 month and was born with the same condition. Please inbox me if you se this!! I´m a mum from sweden.
    missciss

Answer by missciss at 5:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2012

• When I was pregnant with my daughter I was told she would be born with clubfoot, but instead she was born with severe posteriomedial bowing of her left tibia. They told me it would grow out, but when it was obvious at 16 months that her leg wasn't straightening at all, the recommended surgery. They cut out the deformity and grafted in donor bone. I am delighted to say that at 5 years old, my child can do anything that any other kid does. We just had a recheck and interestingly, slough the bone was corrected to be perfectly straight, over the years it had bowed again (very slightly, the naked eye can't tell). Here's something weird though--the dr we saw is currently seeing TWO other babies with this "rare" congenital deformity.

I am happy to share off board with anyone who needs/wants further info. I felt so alone when this happened back in 2007 when my daughter was born.
    Kibosh94

Answer by Kibosh94 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2012

• I know this is an old thread but I occasionally search for this topic and came across this. My son was born in Feb. 2010 with posteriomedial bowing of the tibia. It was so scary and I was afraid he would not walk or have troubles. We chose to go to physical therapy and have him wear a brace around the age of 1 year. We didn't need to do it but wanted to be proactive. He is now 3 and his leg is almost straightened out. He has a leg difference of about 3 cm so we have a lift put on the bottom of his shoe. He doesn't know any different and runs like any other kid. Eventually we might look into slowing down the growth of the other leg, so his right leg can catch up a bit, but it will probably always be a little shorter. Having the lift put on his shoe is expensive...$100 per lift. We usually put it on 2 pair of shoes. I look at other problems and issues with children and know that it could be much worse. He is healthy and happy!
    Lara112369

Answer by Lara112369 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2013

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/311379235660148/
    This is a fb link to a group of parents with kids that all have posteromedial bowing its a support group. I no this is old post but if people are searching they will come across this. My daughter is nearly 3 and was born with posteromedial bowing she rolled crawled pulled herself up at a normal age she walked before her first bday she is a head in most sports then any kid her age and older and shes a really smart
    Amandamenere

Answer by Amandamenere at 9:05 AM on May. 29, 2014

• And also her bow is still there but rarely noticable. She never had a cast or anything just stretches as a baby. She has a shoe lift and about 2cm lld.
    Amandamenere

Answer by Amandamenere at 9:07 AM on May. 29, 2014