The average child....

I would like to know what age do average children start doing things. I'm doing this for some research.

What age do most children:
Read
Write Letters
Write their name
Recognize Letters
Recognize the sounds of the letters
Recognize numbers
Count
Can do addition/subtraction
Can spit toothpaste
Blow their nose
Get dressed

Thank you very much for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Read 5, just beginner books, road signs and such
    Write Letters 3
    Write their name 3
    Recognize Letters 3
    Recognize the sounds of the letters 3
    Recognize numbers 3
    Count 1
    Can do addition/subtraction 4
    Can spit toothpaste 2
    Blow their nose 2
    Get dressed 18 months

This was when my daughter did all this.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't know what is "average", but my 3 y/o can't read, or do adding or subtraction, or get himself dressed without help,

but HE CAN write the letters in his name, and is practicing the others, knew & recognized his ABC's and could count to 20 at 2.5 y/o, counted to 40 by 3 y/o, recognized the sounds of letters by 3 y/o, has always spit toothpaste out (age 1), and can blow his nose a little when coached.

Hope this helps! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My 19 month old can not do any of that yet.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think with the exception of reading and math,, most kids can do all of this by the time they are 4,,,Ds could spit toothpaste at 1,,but most everything else happened in the 2 1/2 to 4 year old range,,, hope this helps
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Every child is different. All children will learn to do things at their own speed. If you work with them early enough on things like singing ABC counting with them and such they will pick it up and go from there. As for spitting toothpaste if they can understand you and watch you do it that will be around the right time to try. Always use a toddler tooth paste when teaching oral hygine cuz it can be swallowed without makeing them sick. You'll know when they get it down.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Read: I was 3, my son was 5
    Write Letters: I was 2 or 3, my son was 4
    Write their name: I was 5, my son was 4
    Recognize Letters: I was 2, my son was 4
    Recognize the sounds of the letters: I was 3, My son was 4
    Recognize numbers: My son and I were 4
    Count: Around 2 or 3 both
    Can do addition/subtraction: I was 6, my son was 4 or 5
    Can spit toothpaste: around 2
    Blow their nose: Around 18 months
    Get dressed: Around 2, maybe earlier
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Every child is diff. if you want to know the "average" range -- look it up in a book or on-line. It also depends what they have been exposed to and children easily are ahead in one area, a little behind in another, do stuff and then stop and catch up somewhere else -- its not a smooth line.
    Typically: reading comes b/f writing.... I would say in the 4-5 range or so. Depends how often they are exposed and girls tend to pick up faster than boys.. also depends on their style of learning and their individual interests.
    Spitting correctly -- takes time and coordination and getting dressed -- well they can often do one thing and not another. (here I've also learned that body types can make a diff -- its harder for shorter arms to get a shirt off then longer - LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my son is 2-1/2 and can't blow his nose or dress himself - he can take off his pants but that's it. he blows his nose but only through his mouth yet lol!! nothing with letters and numbers yet though - he can count to 8 but he doesn't know them visually yet - same with letters - he knows the ABC Song, but doesn't know them as letters if he see's them -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Read 4-7 - some children have a harder time learning to read than others.

Write Letters 3/4

Write their name 5/6

Recognize Letters 4/5

Recognize the sounds of the letters 5/6

Recognize numbers 5/6

Count 2

Can do addition/subtraction 4/5

Can spit toothpaste 2/3

Blow their nose 3/4 - depends on the need, if they don't get stuffy noses they never have the need therefore they don't learn.

Get dressed 2

All kids are different. Learning things very early depends on A LOT of variables.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Sorry I didn't mean for that to take up the whole page. :(
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2010