Has a doctor or nurse ever told you this?

i'm 5 cm dilated and they wont keep me or anything. they say that while checking my cervix and pushing up on the sack where the baby's head is they can still bounce the baby's head up? I was kind of horrified when they said "bounce" the baby's head head. But on top of that I didnt think that the baby actually engaged fully till it was time to push. I have one daughter and with her I could still feel them move her up when I was admitted and ready to deliver. I dont understand what they are trying to say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Basically you aren't in active labor so there is no reason to keep you in the hospital.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Are you having labor pains,, contractions??? IDK the hospital sent me home,, and 5 minutes later we had to go back,,kind of suprised if your having full blown labor they would send you home?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• She never said she was in full blown labor. Only that she was 5cm dilated and that means nothing if the baby hasn't fully dropped.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP HERE- Ya I dont care that they sent me home or whatever. But to push the baby out of the position that she is in I just never heard of anyone doing that is all just wanted to know if they told anyone else that. But Yes I have been having contractions that arent regular yet.
    Anonymous

• That just means she isn't fully engaged in your pelvis. She's still ballotable, which means with pressure, her head comes up out of the pelvis. It doesn't really mean anything, just that it's early.

I was 5cm with a ballotable baby last pregnancy. Went into labor pretty soon after, but she didn't engage fully until active labor.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• well I have delivered at 3 hospitals, 2 military and 1 civilian, and they are not supposed to turn you away after4 cm.! 4 is active labor, no matter where you are! Call any other hospital and i guarentee they will tell you what i said!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Above poster you give terrible advice! 4-5 cm with irregular contractions could go on for days. If she checks in they want her delivered within 12-24 hours. You want this stranger to have a c-section just because the military idiots told you that you have a 3 day window or else!
    OP, I don't like the idea of them bouncing your baby's head either. It seems like a great way to get a cord to prolapse to me, but maybe they aren't bouncing all that much.
    Good luck, I hope things pick up for you in a nice smooth manner and everything goes well. Not too fast and not too slow.
    Anonymous

• JoLee, every bit of advice or response I have seen from you has been full of shit..

the amount you are dilated has nothing to do with how active your labor is dumbass. I have known people be dilated for 4-5cm for weeks before going into active labor.

AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have known people to be able to walk around for WEEKS at 4-5cm. It does not mean your in labor, and if your not in labor than why would you go to the hospital? Hopefully tho, it will make things easier when it is time, since you wouldnt have much further to go LoL GL
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP HERE- i went in for a UTI nothing labor and delivery related it was just on a weekend was all and needed to start something before it turned into a full blown infection
    Anonymous