Dyes in food can make kids hyper?

I honestly thought DS just was reactive to sugar, and asked a question about it yesterday,, but it got me to thinking,, when he has things like apple pie or ice cream, I don't really notice a change in his behavior. He had a fruit roll-up the other day, and became a nut! Do dyes really affect behavior? If so what kind and in what foods? Thanks so much, you learn something new everyday!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 12:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes. I have heard of this. Particularly the red. I agree with Anon. Some kids have allergies in different degrees and some are just sensitive and not very allergic per se. Dyes are in just about everything that is sweetened and has color. Often organic and all natural foods tend to be colored with natural things like beet juice and such. Read labels before you even read the nutrition info.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 'Ive heard of kids being sensitive to some of the dyes..mostly the red and the yellows. If you think about it, nothing in nature is really that color, so why does our food need to be????
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yes, they can, and do. It's not just a hyperactivity issue, but can completely alter their mood- everything from depression, to anger, etc.
    Dye is in everything- and I mean EVERYTHING (even things you wouldn't imagine- like apple pie, if it is store bought). Read the label.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yes! Red 40 seems to be the worst one. Some kids are allergic to ANY dyes in ANY foods. I just try to stay away from dyes, period, though I really only notice my kids going nuts after the red 40. Dyes are hidden in all sorts of places - I'm a label reader! Not everyone reacts to dyes, one of my kids doesn't have any problems, one gets completely nuts. Some adults have issues - I'm actually watching myself closely because I've been noticing some weird stuff now & then (because some things I haven't been able to find without dyes - I'm feeling sensitive to yellows though, oddly!).
    Anonymous

• My Jenna has terrible reactions to red 40. She gets a rash and diarrea everytime!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010