is it illegal

is it illegal for someone to not get prenatal care or hold off prenatal care until the last month of pregnancy? i know someone who is pregnant and hasnt gone yet and she looks pretty far along...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No it isn't illegal,, but if your friends with her, you might want to talk to her about the benefits of prenatal care,, IDK some people don't believe in it, others are afraid of being drug tested, other people just don't care,,,,crazy right?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I really don't know whether or not it is illegal but it is really stupid. What if something was wrong with her or the baby and she didn't get treated for it? People are ignorant. Not getting prenatal care for your unborn child is the same as neglect, IMO. LIke I said I don't know if it actually is illegal but if it isn't it should be.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't think it is. I would talk to her about it and encourage her to get some care.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't think it's illegal but why is she doing it. Does she not have insurance or something?
    BradsMom24

Answer by BradsMom24 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• nope.. not smart, but by no means illegal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• No! I would recommend she does, but that would be against the constitution! If it is legal to drink during pregnancy it is legal to not get care! Plus it really is none of your business! Maybe she cant afford it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Lots of women intentionally do "Unassisted Pregnancies" --perhaps she is doing this ?
    And an Unassisted Birth, too?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• In America we believe in protecting the people who destroy life and punishing the people who are good citizens. This being said no it isn't illegal. People say its her body and her choice but you know what the second that baby is born it is not her body and her bad choices could cause lifelong problems for the baby.
    Anonymous

• No and IMO that would be dumb to even make that illegal. There are some the just cant afford health care or paying out of pocket. There is even women out there that didn't find out they are pregnant until the last month. I would never personally go without prenatal care but by no means would I consider not getting prenatal care for your unborn child is the same as neglect, a lot of times if there is something wrong there is very little they can do anyway, and if its something serious like Anencephaly there is absolutely nothing they can do. There tons of women out there that think ultrasounds are needless and don't ever get any and IMO that's almost as bad. So basically the way I see it is if as long as they are eating right, taking prenatals, and not doing anything you shouldn't be while pregnant (smoking, drugs, alcohol, ect..) then whats the big deal.
    Anonymous

• It isn't illegal persay, but it is considered neglect. However, since unborn children aren't seen as live beings to the law it might not be shown as an issue. Unless the child becomes sick and/or dies.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010