Who else agrees that the EDD needs to be done away with and replaced with a DD 2 weeks later?

Too many women and doctors treat the EDD like they are going to get a late fine at the library if they go one second over.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I agree! My first and second babies were overdue. Seven days with the first, ten with the second. We hadn't even DISCUSSED induction when I went into labor. Giving a time frame instead of an actual day would (hopefully) decrease the rate of unnecessary inductions based on an "overdue" baby. I do however think it needs to start with the doctors. More monitoring for those labeled as "overdue", and less fear-mongering about babies dying because they're overdue. If they monitored the mothers closely (as they SHOULD) this wouldn't really be an issue. Yes, placentas mature. Mine did with #2 and #3 (I had #3 at 38 weeks too!), but their lives were NOT in danger. My oldest had meconium staining as a result of being overdue (so I was told), however a quick suction after she was born, and NO issues arose because of it. It's all about proactive care, and getting docs to put the BABIES first...not their vacations and weekends.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i agree that the EDD should be changed. but not quite like you are suggesting. Instead of having an estimated due DAY i believe it should be more like an estimated time period.
    And i agree, many people act like their child is "late" if they don't show up on the "expected" day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• "Too many women and doctors treat the EDD like they are going to get a late fine at the library if they go one second over."

LOL!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I always assume when I get my due date that the REAL due date is 2 weeks later LOL. My first was 2 weeks after her due date, second actually came on his due date and my third was a week past his due date. I am a week and 2 days from my due date with my 4th and he is no where near ready to come, he is still so very active and hasn't dropped far enough. I expect him to be born july 4th lol
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• agree. I have a due MONTH. don't really care for a number...
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I like the way that most humans in the world have done it (prior to the very recent and poorer-outcome era): referred to a Due Month or even a Season.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i agree with NoahsMomma. the doc keeps telling me October 27. i assume it will be between October 17 and November 17. you never know when baby will be done cooking!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I know someone who isn't due for another week and she's acting like she's 10 and a half months pregnant and driving everyone, including her poor husband crazy. I'll be glad when she has the baby so she'll shut up. She's one of those people who acts like she is the only woman in the world to ever have a baby.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• for my first child i was told to think of it as a due month rather than a due date. it alleviates a lot of pressure, but confuses other people! when people ask, when is your baby due, and i say oh, the end of may, early june, they look so boggled! then i say may 30, and they look relieved!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• yup i wish docs/midwives would say, we expect you to give birth between X (37 weeks) and Y (42 weeks)
    Anonymous