I have a son that gets constipated at least once a week. He eats a very balanced diet and doesn't really get much junk food. I'm open for suggestions on getting him some relief.

He is almost 3, and is potty trained however he tries sometimes for days before he gets anything out. The doctor seems to think he may out grow it. Suggested using miralax. I don't want to have to resort to this every day.

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat, simple/white grains, added sugars (especially HFCS) and dairy. make sure that he drinks lots of water, and eats fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Send me a message if you would like some meal ideas or recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• This isnt' so healthy but it only takes a couple of hours to work but I give DD an oatmeal cream pie. I usually do this 1-2 times a week as a snack just to head off constipation. Or get the breakfast oatmeal bars.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Have you tried the new Fiber Gummies? My kids love them and it really helps. We also include Benefiber in all our drinks and food!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Lost of exercise usually works. I take my two for a walk and to the playground and when we go back home they usually their BM. This has work for my toddler more. I don't know the science behind it but I know that this has work for every member of my family we try to keep active as much as we can. I usually walk 30 walks (round way) 4 times a week.
    Anonymous

• My DD is on miralax daily. She had the same problem, but we found out too late the damage it caused. She was backed up so often and for so long that her lower intestine stretched out. Now she is on miralax daily and her intestine can take up to a year to shrink back down.... GL - I would go to a gastro specialist, thats what I had to do with my DD.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We have tried the fiber gummies he actually takes one with each meal, sometimes I think they work great other times we don't have luck benefiber is a great suggestion though does it have a taste? Do your children notice?
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• have you tried cutting dairy? if you are not comfortable cutting it out completely, you could cut way back.
    do you eat brown rice and brown pasta?
    do you eat fruits and veggies?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Maybe get some of those baby food prunes. At 3 a regular sized prune may be hard for him to eat but the baby food ones may be good for him.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 2:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Cutting out dairy all together? Do you think that will help? He's obsessed with his "milky" I try to limit it to 4 glasses a day and give him juice instead I heard to give him more water does anyone know if this helps?
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• dairy can be constipating for many. does he have yogurt, cheese and ice cream too? i wonder if he would still drink his milk if you diluted it? my kids only get 1 juice a week, and it is diluted with water until they are at least 3. grandma doesn't add as much water as i do, but she tries :)
    my kids also didn't do milk, after the breast, so they only drank water.
    also...i would consider going to a health food store and getting some probiotics.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2010