When you hire someone, does it matter........Updated and reposted

I was fired from my job and was told by a career counselor to tell prospective employers that my leaving was due to a "mutual agreement". Does it really make a difference to the person conducting the interview, and does being fired deter them from hiring you? I'm employed right now, just looking for a better job closer to home. Are there any managers or people that hire at their places of employment on CafeMom that know?

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Being "fired" means you did something wrong--like stole from the company, didn't show up on time or at all (job abandonment), had a poor work ethic/attitude/rude to customers, etc. Whereas a "Mutual separation" form a past employer implies that you were mature and honest in your reasons for separating, and we able to work out an amicable separation.

A few years ago, it might not have been a big deal, but given the current economy and high unemployment rate, employers don;t have time for poor work attitudes or ethics. They need people to give their best and not ave to "hand hold" them. They cannot afford drama.

Your career counselor is correct--heed her advice! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I'm afraid. I used to hire for a company, and if a person was fired from a previous job, and I had other applicants that were equally qualified, (sometimes less qualified depending on why the person was fired) I would pick another applicant.

Make sure that you don't lie however, because many employers will call and check with previous employers, just try to make it sound as good as possible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• ohwrite...legally the ONLY thing a potential employer can ask a former employer is whether or not the employee worked during the dates they say they did, and their final salary. Everything else opens them up to potential law suits--slander, confidential information, etc.

I was the Regional Director of Human Resources for a large well-known international hotel chain.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Mutual agreement is HR code for terminated with cause.

I also do career and job search coaching; contact me directly if you would like to chat (I never charge CafeMoms for my services)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If you owned your own business and had the choices of two new hires....
    would you pick the one that got fired....or the one who left for other professional reasons?
    Yes it does make a difference-and it will for a very long time. Today's work environment does not warrant firing as no big deal.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• the laws vary from state to state, but employers can ask questions such as:

Would you hire this employee again? or
    Is this employee eligible for rehire?
    The answers to these questions can tell a potential employer a lot.

and sometimes when you call to verify employment, you get more information, it depends on how big the company is, and if they have an actual human resources department. It's never good to actually lie on an application, because if an employer finds out, they can use that as grounds to terminate you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2010