How do you do it?

How do you move out of state? Across the country? Out of country?

Do you just pick up one day and do it? Do you plan and save for years and years? Do you buy/rent a place before you even get there? What about kids and school? Do you leave all of your furniture/stuff?

My SO and I really want to move out of state, probably even cross country (we're in CA). We live with his mother right now and the situation with her...well lets just say we're clashing. I can't find a job and I'm a few years away from a degree. He is at a shitty one and also is wanting to go to become an electrician. Our daughter is almost 17 months. We also have a VERY hard time saving up due to many things.

I just want to know what you think it would take to get out of this situation and state.

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 1:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Travel

• I think you need to figure out where you would like to live. Make sure you look at the cost of living for the area. If you find somewhere you really think you'll like, look at the job opportunities. Start applying for jobs that you are really interested in. See if they'll conduct phone interviews so you don't have to fly in for one.

I would definitely try to pay off any debt that you have before moving as it'll just be harder when you move somewhere else as you will most likely have a lot more expenses than you do now.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• We moved from northern Illinois to Las Vegas Nevada when the kids were 3 years old and 4 months old. We put our house on the market and it sold in 3 days, which was sooner than we expected. My husband lined up some job interviews and flew out to Las Vegas for two days to find a job. He got a job on the second day. My dad lives in Las Vegas and is a realtor, so I called him up and told him to find us a place. We didn't see it, but I told what I wanted and sent him a check. My husband's job wanted him to start in two weeks, so we put our lawyer in charge of the house's closing, packed everything up, and left about a month before our closing. I flew out with the kids and my husband stuck around the next day for the movers, then drove (28 hours straight) to Las Vegas. We slept on a futon mattress in our empty place until our stuff got there. Our lawyer wired us the money when our house closed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Continued..
    The whole thing took about 3 weeks from the time we put our house on the market to the time we were at our new place and my husband was starting his job. The hardest part was finding a moving truck with such short notice.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• : / a plan like that would be great, but we don't own a house. Hell, we hardly own ANYTHING, lol. I'm 21 and he's 20 so we're basically starting fresh...and broke.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 5:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Oh, ok. We were 26 with that move. We made a long-ish move without kids when we were 19, but it was only a state away. That was basically just getting an apartment, packing up, and finding a job.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My hubby and I moved from FL to MA.....we went on line, found a cheap apt to rent and then we packed up a truck and drove until we got there. We were lucky cause my hubby had a job where he could be transferred to MA..and then I got a job 2 months later. It can be done, just needs some planning and cash....save what you can!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• We move often, but they are job related moves. Just be very aware that relocating costs money, especially important if you're not moving for business purposes. Selling, buying, the physical moving of items all cost money. Right now my husband and I have been staying in hotels and eating all of our meals out because our new dwelling is not available until next week. You also have factor in travel costs involved in scouting out potential living and working situations. All told, moving is a giant PITA.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter just moved to SO America. She had worked in various organizations in the region for a year, as part of her grad school curriculum. She secured a job this past Spring, graduated in May, and moved in June. She left with 2 big suitcases and her surf board. She has friends who live locally and they are helping her secure housing-she's been traveling for the last month or so. My husband, mother and I are planning on making a visit in August to bring her other items she might need.

All told, the hardest part of her move as involved work Visas-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010