Kids in the front seat?

my daughter is 5 and asked if she could sit in the front seat. I have no clue when they can a should so when did you let your kid ride up front? I live in illinois is the a law for what age?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 2:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• depends on your state. Where I live they are aloud in the front seat at any age although I don't let my 5 year old sit up front yet
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Nope she is too young. It is not till around 4 feet and 10inchs or 11 inches they recommend till they can sit in the front seat.

Anonymous

• the general rule is kids in the back seat till age 12 because of the dangers of airbags
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I live in NC and age requirement is 12 to sit up front. Occasionally I will let my 12 year old sit up with me, but usually only if the back is full of groceries, etc. I figure the back is still safer for him (even though he's taller than I am and weighs almost as much!)

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I remeber always riding in the front since i was in 6 wow thats crazy but im glad i didnt let her.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• In Ma its age 12. I thought it was the same everywhere. Even so, I probably see it everyday :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 2:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• In IL they have to sit in back if they are under 12 unless there is no available seat in the back.
    My son has been sitting up front in our pick up truck since he was 5 1/2 because the back seats are taken up by his sisters and their booster seats. He's almost 9 now. If one of the older girls isn't in the car then he sits in back in their booster.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Georgia state laws are 57 inches tall or 12yrs old. I would not let my 4 yr old or 6 yr old. Too dangerous...My 10 year old does every now and then, only if its a quick ride to the store...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Illinois 7 years and younger 8 through 15 years; children who weigh more than 40 pounds seated in the rear where only a lap belt is available $75 (effective 01/01/11) law states no preference for rear seat

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Mine started sitting in the front seat when he was about 7 1/2. We live in Ohio. Don't know if the state makes a difference or not with the laws.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010