Do you think there is such a thing as a 'good baby' or is it just luck?

I love how people define a 'good baby' by how much he/she cries. My DD was extremely colicky and continues to be a rather tempermental toddler...Family and friends are always sure to tell me when they encounter one of these 'good' (quiet) babies b/c mine was not!! Me and my MIL remind everyone that it's just luck at this age. Some get 'good' 'easy' babies and others get screaming banshees! How can an infant even be considered 'good' or 'bad?' They barely know what's going on!

deelite12

Asked by deelite12 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think by good they mean an easy baby and it is all luck!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I am with you. It is just luck.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't think you should compare your child to another person's child. We don't have "cookie cutter" children. Deal with your child's personality as it emerges and just make sure you don't contribute to the things that are not the most attractive in the personality. I mean - if your child pouts, don't reward the pout - type stuff. It is up to you to train your child to be a great adult. You only have about 18 years (or less) to do just that. Go, get to work girl!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Ummm, so how do you 'deal' with a colicky 3 mos. old, exactly? Ignore it?
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have never seen a "BAD" baby so they are all good. Easy baby , yes. But Babies aren't bad. EVER
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It is luck totally. babies are who they are. My middle one was colicky and yeah thats not fun! My youngest was a good baby but I always said just luck. My first was a good baby but wanted to be held alot not sure if we did that! LOL We held him all the time.
    Anonymous

• It's all luck. I lucked out with a "good" easy baby, hardly no crying, slept easy and often, through the night at 3-4 weeks.
    Now, she was born with a heart problem requiring meds 3 times a day, once in the middle of the night so she didn't need to wake up in the middle since we woke her up. I would have traded all that "good" for her to have a healthy heart. Without a second thought.
    I consider myself lucky that she was "good" and that her heart thing wasn't fatal and easily controlled.
    Like I said, it's all luck. Nothing you can really do. Once the kid is fed, changed, burped and all that and it's still crying, then it's just a crying kid.
    I'm sorry you didn't luck out :-( but I'm sure you still love him just as much as you would if he didn't utter a peep. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Our DD was a good baby, thank goodness since I was alone in a town where I knew nobody and my husband was deployed. I think it's just luck. She's a terror as a toddler tho lol.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 3:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• pure luck!! dd was colicy a bit, but other than that she is such an easy child.. shes 3.5 & still "a perfect lil angel" most of the time ;).... I fear she will make up for it in her teen years.. Or our next child may be her opposite...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well, I would have to say it has something to do with genetics. Something a baby gets from the parents. Personality, pain tolerance, ability to cope with change, temperment, or a unique combination of the above. I also have suspected that colic has a lot to do with how the digestive system is shaped in a baby. I think some trap gas better than others and this causes pain for the baby. A baby crying to me means something is wrong with the baby, either physically or mentally. I've felt lucky to have "good" babies but they sure have turned into strong willed children! There is no bad baby.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010