breast milk

is there anything you can take or eat 2 help produce breast milk. my baby is almost 3 weeks old. and i pump everything. and now i don't pump much to feed him.

tommygirl_jmg

Asked by tommygirl_jmg at 2:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how much is your little one eating? how often? what kind of pump are you using? how often are you pumping? are you exclusively pumping?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• oatmeal helped me. there are also different herbs that can help fenugreek i think is one, i cant remember the others.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• he eats 2 oun. sometimes 3 every 2 or 3 hours. i try to pump when he eats. i usely don't go more then 6 hours without pumping. but i have. i usely try 2 pump every 2 or 3 hours. i usely only pump an oun. i have a hospital pump.
    tommygirl_jmg

Answer by tommygirl_jmg at 2:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• is there a reason you are pumping instead of nursing directly from the breast?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Have you tried just latching him on? Your baby will get much more than the pump will and nursing him will help up your milk supply.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• For some women, pumps are not effective. I was one of them. DD could get several oz out of me while the pump only got a 1. don't rely on the pump to tell you how much you produce as it's not reliable. Is there a reason why you don't just let him nurse?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. anything over that is GREAT!!!

To speed milk production and increase overall milk supply, the key is to remove more milk from the breast and to do this frequently, so that less milk accumulates in the breast between feedings.

MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• he was born 4 weeks early. and his sucking was behind, in the hospital. it just made me mad. so i started pumping everything. and not fight with him. so now he is use to the bottle,. and i have tried since. and he will only Brest feed for like a min. and be done. he was due like 4 days from now.
    tommygirl_jmg

Answer by tommygirl_jmg at 3:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would keep trying to get him to latch on. You can get nipple shields that will make your nipple feel more like a bottle nipple. Exclusively pumping is hard to do and keep up with. I tried to do it with my oldest and at 3 months got mastitis and my milk dried up from the meds.

mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• have you seen a lactation consultant?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010