How to get my daughter to say please & thank you!!

My daughter is so sweet, loving and a good girl of course she has her monster moments as she is 3.5 yrs old . We are having a problem with her remembering to say please and thank you. When she ask for something its always I want! instead of can I please have a drink etc. we have been telling her until blue in the face and feel very frustrated she is much better with her thank yous but still forgets them too! she is a polite girl I just don't know what to do for her to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This reminds me of when my kids where little. They had this commercial on one of the kids channels and it was all about saying please and thankyou. They memorized the words to it, it was a cute jingle. They are in high school now and they where robes for choir.. The adult who checks the robes in and out told me the other day how polite my kids are, they always say thank you when they hand her their robes for check out and check in. Its amazing how manners fit into every area of their lives, no matter how old they are. Anyhoo, try to find some childrens cd's that have manner jingles on them. That worked for us. Geez, I can still here that song in my head!
    Anonymous

• Say those things to her in a happy way.and she probably will say it too.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• When she says "I want" just ask her "magic word?" and she'll remember to say please. Or you can say "how are you supposed to ask for that". Just try phrasing it differently and asking her to say it the correct way rather than saying "say please".
    Make sure she sees you using please and thank you for everything and to everyone. She'll catch on.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would just keep correcting her nicely. And make her say it the right way before she gets it. And you should use please and thank you too, so she gets in the habit of it. Kids do what they see not told.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my son does the same thing. I must say "Is there a nicer way to ask for something you want" 100 times a day. He is starting to catch on- but I still remind him constantly!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Don't get frusterated! ...it will come. Make sure you are always using it even when you are not speaking to her (you are her biggest example)...we've been doing it since birth for my daughter so she pretty much as it down...but there are times I still have to remind her.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2010