Bedroom cleaning stand off with 10 year old.

I'm finally taking a deep breath today because after FIVE straight days of trying to get my 10 year old to clean his room. Guess what? He cleaned it. Its not perfect.Its not how I would do it,lol. But I can actually see his floor, I can walk in his room and not worry about breaking my leg. I don't have to rent an airplane just to fly across his room to give him a kiss and tuck him in bed at night,lol. This boy was determined that I would clean it for him and I was determined that he was going to do it himself.I felt bad a time or two...knowing its summer vacation and he'd rather go outside.I almost gave in.But I didn't. I tried reasoning, I tried bargaining.I let him take breaks in between.But the first 2 days, that boy of mine sat in the middle of his room not touching a thing.Finally, he got it. Mom wasn't giving in this time.Have you ever had to have this kind of stand off with your child?Or am I the only "mean mommy"? lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• good for you!!!!!!!!!!!.. think my dd would have alot of donations for a stunt like that! lol...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i had that stand odd for a week with my 8 year old and finally i had enough and stripped his room of EVERYTHING!!!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You could have done it together and had some really quality time with one another, and it would have been cleaned more to your liking.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You are not alone.Maybe next time will go easier.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I really hope so evelynwest! lol
    I've helped him clean his room before but he is old enough to do it himself, I can't hold his hand for everything in life. I have a huge house to clean, a yard that has 10 differnt flower beds to maintain, children to care for, meals to cook..I don't think asking him to clean his own room, to clean up after himself is too much to ask.
    With that said....I pray next time will be easier...on us both,lol. I think he feels proud though..he was proud to show me his room when he was all done.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• NannyB that's a great idea! Kimberly, I remember having those same standoffs with my mother, and I am watching her go through it all over again with my young sisters.. and I can certainly wait for my now 2yo DD to start with them haha. Best of luck in the future :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 3:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I go through this a lot too with my son. I like the comment about quality time together. I swear if I was HELPING him clean it, my head would be turning around in circles and foam would be coming from my mouth! There is no way son and I could have quality time if I was helping him clean his room,,,nasty room!
    Anonymous

• good for you! you did the right thing else they won't learn and try to walk all over us.
    Anonymous

• WOO HOO.......... YOU ROCK!
    Anonymous