anyone use those home composting bins? the ones you can keep under your sink?

wondering if they are any good and if anyone has any experience with them.

katherine.pryde

Asked by katherine.pryde at 3:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My son uses a small one and it has a charcoal filter in the cover. He loves it and it does not smell up his kitchen. Every few days, or when it is full, he takes it outside to a compost pile in his garden.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would think that they would stink up your house
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If you are talking about the metal ones designed to keep the smell down, my old boss used one. My parents have a compost pile at their home. I am not allowed to have one where I live, living in a "borough" or in a city this is illegal. Anyways, I save all my compost in regular rubbermaid containers and my formula cans. But I take them to my parents about twice a week and empty them. I also wash them. My boss emptied the one in her house frequently as well. Plus washed it out after emptying it. My parents neighbors also use those large icecream plastic containers, that's what my parents use. But they all empty theirs on a daily basis.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We have a compost pile in the back yard behind my SO's shed. Mainly we use it for yard waste and things that sliver away quickly. We don't want to stink out the neighborhood!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010