How can I brush my dog if he is scared of everything?

I have a ½ bloodhound ½ boxer mix who is somewhere around 2 years old to my knowledge. We rescued him from my mom's neighbor roughly 8 months ago or so. She admitted she kept him crated nearly 24 hrs a day, I saw with my own eyes a number of times where her son's father would beat and drag the dog, and numerous days where he was chained outside in the middle of the summer (100º and up on some days) without access to shade, food, or water. We have gotten him from looking emaciated to a nice healthy weight and he no longer cowers around men (we were lucky he was young still). Now the problem is he started shedding wildly today and I tried brushing and combing him and he freaks. I can tell he's terrified he runs in circles then lays down in a little ball on my feet... What can I do? I can tell the loose hair is making him itchy and not too mention getting everywhere!

kfroz0415

Asked by kfroz0415 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pets

• maybe you could start with a nice petting? pushing hard enough that a good amount of hair comes off....
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• lay the brush down on the ground and leave it there for a while. let him sniff it and just get comfortable with it being there.
    when you are ready to brush him calmly pick up the brush and talk to him while you are brushing him.

go slowly and remain calm even if he freaks out!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I switched to a wide tooth "flea comb" and he seems to be less terrified of that then the brush, but still a definite no go.

I tried letting him sniff it while in my hand then put it down on the floor and he hid in the corner. Should I try putting it back down? I don't want to make him a nervous wreck over something silly like this... I tried petting him and letting him sit on my lap while I did it and I got about an inch past his shoulders and he was out of his mind again.

I don't react other then putting the comb up, rubbing his ears, and petting him, but he still gives me the sad eyes... I just feel so bad for him since I am getting large amounts of hair off him just petting him and he usually barely sheds, but it is the first day of summer and noticeably warmer the last few days.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• lots of praise and time. and maybe something like a horse brush that straps to your hand so that you just pet him with the brush. some treats might be helpful too. a bath might help loosen some fur too, if he isn't scared of that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I used to swipe some peanut butter on the fridge door and let the dog lick it while I brushed. He hardly noticed the brushing.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• pet him with wet hands. It will come off on your hands. Give him treats for holding still.
    Anonymous

• they have a pair of gloves that gets loose hair off. let the dog smell it first and get used to it and then distract him with a toy and start petting him with the gloves on. good luck. bless u for saving this poor animal.
    Anonymous