my baby is 5 and half months old.my question is: he didn't have any bowel movement in past 4 days,what should I do?

mamagigi22

Asked by mamagigi22 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• formula or breastfed?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Definitely call your local pediatrician's office and leave a message for the nurse. I always got a prompt call back answer. This needs to talked over with a pediatric nurse for sure.
    CavalierLvr

Answer by CavalierLvr at 3:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• when my daughter was born she was about the same age and the dr said its ok for a baby not to poop every day bcz their bodies r still trying to get on track a baby can go up to 10 days with no pooping and is still ok
    Anonymous

• it all depends on how your baby is fed. breastmilk only, 4 days is no big deal. formula, start apple or prune juice on day 3. I don't remember what day the doc said to call for formula and solids, but for breastmilk and solids I was told to bring her in on day 5 to make sure there isn't a blockage.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• if he is breastfed, this is definitely normal. bm is digested so well that most of it passes through the urine.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I agree that if he's breastfed, it's completely normal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movements. Unless your baby is in pain, don't worry!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2010