Carseat question?

My baby will be 5 months on the 22nd and he is about 19 lbs, my friends had told me that he is too big for it and is ready for a different car seat, he cant sit up on his own yet so i was just wondering should i switch his car seat even with his not able to sit on his own yet?

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 3:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm assuming he is in an infant seat still

he has outgrown it if:
    he is over the weight limit
    there is 1 inch or less of shell above his head
    his shoulders are at or above the harness slot

if so, it is time for a convertible car seat installed rear facing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• 20 pounds is usually the limit for the carrier type rear facing, some go to 25. you can do a convertible that does rear facing, just don't switch to front facing yet. wait until at least 1 year to do that, though they recommend staying rear facing until 2 years now.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• There are plenty of rear facing seats that would fit your child!! If they are harnessed correctly it doesnt matter if they can sit up, since they recline. My DD is 4mo (also on the 22nd) and I will be getting her a Graco MyRide soon. I just have to wait to get my van first because it is too big to fit in the back seat of my sedan with 2 other car seats LoL
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My carseat went to 22lb and 29 inches. Check the limits for your seat. And even if he cant sit, a convertable seat is fine. They recline a little. And yes make sure to rear face till atleast a year and 20lbs. Although they are now recommending 2 years minimum, its just not a law yet. My son will stay rear facing until the max weight lilit for rear facing on my seat. Wich is 35 pounds. Hes almost 1 and hes 23lb now, so i could turn him but im not going to :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010