grandmother given to much candy!!!

my daughter just came home from her grandmothers house. she stayed one week. i have told my mom before please be careful what you give your grandchild because she has bad acid reflux and takes meds for it. the last time she stayed she gain 5 pounds. she is 6 and now weighs 54.6 lbs. when she came home yesterday i asked her what she had over her grandmothers and told me she had candy, soda food she should not be eating. i really do not know how to tell my mom again without making her mad. i got her upset last time. i just don't understand why she would do this. my daughter would cry and say her heart hurts because it's the acid reflux. now we have to get her back into eating better and half of the time she goes to bed with out dinner because she does not like the food we make because its to healthy. HELP!!! how do i talk to my mom without making her upset!!

mommy000308

Asked by mommy000308 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like you have tried already. I wouldnt send dd over there anymore for a week straight. Find someone else if you have to go out of town. Or just make it day trips to grandmas where you are there and watching whats going on.
    Anonymous

• at this point it has nothing to do with making sure her feelings aren't hurt. she's hurting your daughter... not a good thing. i would let her know that my daughter is not going to be staying with her for a while...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If grandma equates candy/soda with love....she needs to learn new ways to love your daughter.
    Ask her if that makes sense.

Then educate her. Tell her that you want your dd and her to have a good relationship, but that you need to feed your daughter nutritious foods and you would appreciate it if she would do the same.
    Receiving candy/soda at grandma's is going to make dd want to go there and not eat at home. You are just setting yourself up for a battle at home by allowing it to continue.
    Maybe threatening grandma would work, but try to be subtle and talk about the love= candy idea, and see what she says.
    GL.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• And I would also start teaching your daughter that when her "heart hurts" it is because of too much candy, soda and junk food, adn that SHE needs to tell grandma that she cannot have everything Grandma offers her--as tempting as it is!

It only took a few really bad BM's to realize that eating a whole bag of potato chips was NOT a good idea (we were having a BBQ, and didn;t realize he ate so much--he kept sneaking small amounts)! It only takes a little reminder of what happened the last time he ate too much greasy food, and now he RARELY wants any greasy/fast/junk food, and he's never touched soda.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would be setting the rules either follow them or your granddaughter can not come and visit you!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think that Grandma has lost the privilege of having her granddaughter unsupervised.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• thank you all so much for your answers. i just hate to make her upset but she need to know that my husband and i are the parents and so need to understand that. my daughter will not be going over for awhile. we will stay when we do go over. thanks again!! i love this site!!!!! =)
    mommy000308

Answer by mommy000308 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010