My mom is driving me nuts!!!!! help???

My daughter is 4 months old and only breast feed! she has been sleeping all night since she was 2 months old! my mom wanted to start her on cereal in her bottle at 2 months i said no she is fine and she kinda let it go, but now she is 4 months and she wants us to start baby food! i told her no doc says to wait until 6 months. she says oh well the docs are never right and blah blah blah. . . she went out and bought baby food yesterday i was so pissed !! first off i said NO to baby food and second when i decide to feed her baby food im going to pick it out my self!!! We live with my parent since we r trying to save for a house. how can i tell her to back off without her turning into mom from hell??

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell her in a polite but firm manner that this is your child and you will be raising her and she will be grandma. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Remind her that she also found pleasure in making decisions for you when you were born, tell her it is now your turn to be a mom, she already went at it and you would like to do things your way without offending her.

Answer by older at 4:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I agree with older. Your mom clearly loves your baby, and is excited about being a grandmother. Preserve your relationship with her, and gently remind her how she felt as a young mother. Let her know you appreciate her enthusiasm, but this is your turn to be a mom, and you'd like to make the choices for your baby yourself.

Good Luck......and as difficult as it can be to have a mom that's over involved, please remember that it would even harder to have a mom that didn't care.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I just read a study on cnn.com today that verified the merits of exclusively breast feeding for six months. Give it to her to read. I like what the first poster said too. Remind her that she gave you the tools to be a good mama and now you need to be able to make decisions for your baby and have that respected. When it comes to your kid your mom doesn't get to make the rules just because it is her house. Things are done differently now than in the past. They weren't wrong in the old days, we just have more information to go on these days, and it indicates doing things a little differently sometimes.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• it's just how they did it when she was having kids

brush it off and do what you want, kudos for knowing the facts
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• oh and i just finished reading your post, don't be mad at your mom shes just excited for baby to eat food, my mom was too. get mad if she does it when you're not home, but buying baby food is ok, baby will eat it eventually,
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Tell your mother that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I love the super baby food im making my own baby food! i cant wait to try it in a few months
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• That stinks, but I agree with older. Just nicely tell her how you feel.

& The Super Baby Food book is awesome.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2010