What all would you expect at a child's 2nd birthday?

My son is turning 2 and I'm mentally planning his party. Last year we did a small family thing but this year I'm thinking about inviting friends. I've never planned a party and need help thinking of things to think of! I think we'll have it at a park, so what should I buy? Should I bring a grill and make hamburgers/hot dog, or just bring platter and chips, etc? There probably won't be too many young kids so I don't know about games? What about beer or wine coolers for adults? How long is long enough without being too long? 2-3 hours?

LOL ideas? Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• pizza and cake
    Anonymous

• Hamburgers and hot dogs sound great! Set up one picnic table with large pans to put hte burgers and hot dogs in. Bring lettuce and cut up tomatoes, pre done and ready to serve in pans. Set it up like a buffet line. Put the paper plates and the napkins at the beginning. Condiments at the end, and a cooler with water and soda at the very end. Wahala a b-day party fit for a King or Queen! Some of the parks have barbeques all ready there so check it out first. Also, some parks in my area you have to sign up for with the city, so make sure you find out if you have to get a permit from the city first. Have fun!!
    Anonymous

• If you have it at a park there is your entertainment for the kids. Thats where I have my son's birthday parties at and will have my daughters there probably too. Near the park I go to there is a pizza place a block away so I did that but if you want to do hamburgers or hotdogs you could do that also. I just didnt want to bring a ton of stuff to lug back and forth so pizza work best for us. No need for extra stuff like ketchup or anything. We just did cake, no ice cream, cuz we didnt want to chance it that it would melt even if there was a ton of ice. We didnt have beer or anything cuz we didnt feel it was neccessary. We just had juice for the kids and soda for the adults. The time we did was 1-3 or 12-2...so 2 hrs. just enough time for everything.Also for 2 year olds I think thats just enough for them. The older they get I think the longer the party can be.Hope this helps some.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Park = no additional entertainment necessary
    Drinks = cooler full of Capri Sun, sodas, and bottled water (no alcoholic drinks at a kids party - also none allowed at the parks where I live)
    Food = hamburgers or hotdogs would be nice, but is not necessary, but cake or cupcakes is necessary! Snacks are also optional.
    Length = for a 2 year old I'd say 1 1/2 to 2 hours would be good, and be sure to plan around naps!
    Anonymous